Thread: Network sharing with virtual XP mode PC

Network sharing with virtual XP mode PC

Hello there, I have installed Windows 7 on my desktop computer which is connected on a local network. I have shared the folders on the Windows 7 computer with the Virtual XP computer connected on the same home network. Now I want to share folders from Virtual XP computer with Windows 7 computer. I followed the same steps for sharing the files but the files are not visible. So please guide me through the process of Network sharing with virtual XP mode PC. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Network sharing with virtual XP mode PC

The files and the folders which are created using a certain user on the virtual machine cannot be shared with any of the users on the computer. This is to maintain the privacy of the data which is accessed by the user. Due to this feature the folders which are associated to certain user accounts are not allowed to be shared. You can see the data from the other computer on the network but sharing of the folders from the virtual machine is not allowed.

The only way to share the folders and files of the Virtual machine computer on the network is to link the user account of the Virtual Xp computer with a public profile. Linking the user account of the Virtual XP computer with a public profile will make all the files and the folders on the computer associated to the account, accessible to all the users of the computer. Once all the folders are visible and accessible to all the users, you can share it on the network.

There is no way in which the folders and files on the virtual PC can be shared on the network if they are already shared. If the folders and files are already shared from the Windows environment then you will not be able to share the same folders in the Virtual XP mode as the entry of the folder is already created in the sharing list. You can share a folder from one environment only and not both. Therefore remove the sharing option from the Windows environment and then share it using XP mode.

Whenever a user logs in the XP mode of Windows, the default networking uses NAT for sharing network. Try changing the default networking of XP mode of Windows 7. To change the default networking mode of the XP mode, follow the steps below :-
    1. Go to the Settings for your XP Mode virtual mode.
    2. Change the network adapter binding from NAT to the physical network adapter of your Windows 7 machine.
    3. Create a share for the My Documents folder on the XP vm.
    4. On the Windows 7 machine, map a drive to the share on the XP virtual machine.
    Check if the folders which you have mapped, visible on the network.