Thread: Unable to run chkdsk on boot drive in windows 7

Unable to run chkdsk on boot drive in windows 7

Hello friends,
    I am having problem with chkdsk process. Whenever I tried to run chkdsk on mt computer's "C" drive and when I restart my computer, I get following message.
    Code:
    Cannot open volume for direct access. Autocheck cannot run due an error caused by a recently installed software package. Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
    An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).
    I used some of the restore points, but it doesn't solve the problem. I don't know why I unable to run chkdsk on boot drive in windows 7. Please help me to fix this problem.
    Thank you.

Re: Unable to run chkdsk on boot drive in windows 7

Have you tried to go into safe mode and tried to solve your problem? I suggest you to go into safe mode and then try to solve your computer's problem. If you don't know how to go into safe mode then go to following link.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode.
    As suggest you to try to solve your problem in the "clean boot." process.

You have to use following steps to get rid out of this problem.
    First right click on your C: drive -> Now select the properties option -> Now choose the tools button -> now select the "check now" option.
    After this you have to restart your computer to start checking process.

From your information it seems that you have accidentally used "chkntfs /x c:" in your command prompt and that's why are not able to run chkdsk on boot "C" drive. This command is used to disable disk checking process on C drive. In this case you have to enable this process to get rid out of this problem. Just go to following link and try to fix this problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963

Use following steps to get rid out of this problem.
    First insert your Windows 7 installation DVD and then boot your system from it -> now go to the repair system option -> now open command prompt and then following command and then press enter.
    chkdsk /f /r c:
    after few hours your chkdsk process will complete and then your Windows will come back to it's stable situation.

It seems that there is some problem in your computer's memory and that's why you are getting such type of problem. In this case you have to perform the Memory Diagnostics Tool to get rid out of this problem. Most of the people solve such type of problem by using this process. IF you don't know how to perform the Memory Diagnostics then go to following link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-your-computer

I tried several solutions to this problem for my HP Pavillion a6530f that I upgraded to Windows 7. Humberto's solution two postings above, unlike all the other solutions worked!! I greatly appreciate the posting! Gracias primo!
    Last edited by francho; 26-04-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: No reference to Humberto

I was also facing the similar problem. After endless restarting and chkdsk the problem is solved by itself. I started the system with services A-C selected, then D-F..and so on till each and every thing was enabled and to my surprise never occurred in the problem again so now I am back to normal start and chkdsk c: /f running fine

I had a similar problem with my Acer One "netbook" running Windows Starter. Using some of the advice from the good people here, I restarted the computer and immediately held the F8 button down (some people claim tapping it continually is better - try both) until I got the option to go into Safe Mode.

However, I was given an option above safe mode to Repair Computer or something like that. The first option. I chose that and it will walk you thru 2 screens easily and it will warn you that it could take more than an hour to check. And that even after it checks and asks you to "finish", which will restart the computer, it may have to do it again.

It worked on the very first attempt and it only took about 15 minutes.

It's very difficult to find help on Windows 7 Starter. Thank you to all the people that contribute to this site and you you SuperGeeks with a heart that set up this board!

Regarding this type of error CHKDSK, this problem may come from both a hardware and software failure. Usually this problem occurs with a failure related to a hard disk and may require repair. More precisely, the system could not fully realize the backup data users during the last closure of the station. To stop that you can press any key instantly as it comes up. When you boot in windows click on start > run > fixmbr.