Thread: How to access XP mode My Documents folder from a Windows 7 Explorer?

How to access XP mode My Documents folder from a Windows 7 Explorer?

I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows 7 operating system. I have installed XP mode on the computer as I want to use applications which are not compatible with Windows 7 but I am facing some problems with XP mode which is installed on the computer. I am no able to access the My documents folder of XP mode when logged into Windows 7. The path of the folder in XP mode is "C:\Documents and Settings\XPMUser\My Documents\My Pictures". I have tried displaying all the files on the computer but nothing works. So I want to know how to access XP mode My Documents folder from a Windows 7 Explorer? Any help regarding the topic is more than welcome.

Re: How to access XP mode My Documents folder from a Windows 7 Explorer?

Whenever a user is logged in the Virtual XP mode then a private differencing disk is created for that particular user which is currently logged in. This is to ensure the security of the data for that particular user. My document folder is a private folder which is created for the user. Hence the contents of the folder will not be visible when some other user logs in or if Windows 7 is used for accessing the contents of the folder. Hence there is no way in which the contents of the folder can be visible.

The files and the application which are created or installed using certain user account in Xp mode are by default linked to that account and hence cannot be accessed by any other user on the same computer. To make the file/applications accessible to all the users, you will have to link the xp mode account with a public profile. Once the XP mode account is linked with the public profile, all the files and applications will be accessible to all the user accounts on the same computer.

The user profiles which are used in Virtual XP mode are hidden when the user logs in the Windows 7 operating system. In order to see the user profiles which are running in Virtual XP mode, you will have to enable viewing of hidden files. Once the hidden files are made visible then you will be able to access the My documents folder from Windows 7. To enable the hidden files view in Windows 7, open my computer and then select folder option. Now check mark the option which says "Show hidden files" and apply the settings. Now see if the user profiles are visible in Windows 7 or not.

You will have to change the default networking type of virtual xp mode of the computer, in order to access the folders of Xp mode. To change the networking type, follow the steps below :-
    • Go to the Settings for your XP Mode virtual machine.
    • Change the network adapter binding from NAT to the physical network adapter of your Windows 7 machine.
    • Create a share for the My Documents folder on the XP virtual machine.
    • On the Windows 7 machine, map a drive to the share on the XP virtual machine.

I have a similar problem. Could you explain in idiot english the steps

* Go to the Settings for your XP Mode virtual machine. Where is this?
    * Change the network adapter binding from NAT to the physical network adapter of your Windows 7 machine. Is this a number?
    * Create a share for the My Documents folder on the XP virtual machine.
    * On the Windows 7 machine, map a drive to the share on the XP virtual machine.

Thanks Mike