Thread: Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen

Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen

Hello everyone, my computer is running the Windows 7 operating system from a very long time. I want to know that if I can Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen. I know that the image can can be removed, but the frame still remains. I want to know about some idea, that will help to get rid of the frame too. I dont like them on the logon screen. Please provide your comments and suggestions.

Re: Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen

I am not sure if there is any method, that will help you to Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen. It will be better if you dont play with such parts of the system. This is because something wrong might occur. Even if you get rid of the same, there is a possibility that your user account may become inaccessible. So, my suggestion to you is to quit playing with the operating system.

There is a very simple method to Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen. You will have to change the registry entry as mentioned below:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlist
    and create: <accountName> Dword 0
    But, there will be a problem with that particular account, that is it will become inaccessible.

Dr. V Guest

Do not ever try to Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen manually because you will take the system into trouble. Find some software or tool on the internet, that will allow you to do the same. Trying to remove them manually will cause problems as mentioned in the above posts and ultimately, there can arise a loss of data and such other issues.

I know a software that can help you to Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen. I am using the same in my system with the Windows 7 operating system and hence, I can assure you that it is compatible with it also, which means that you can use it without any worries. You will get an option to change the logon screen and other such options there. This is the best method that will help you.

Dr. V, The software you mention is just automating the process you could do manually. Telling someone not to mess with their registry but to trust an unknown developer to do it instead, is foolish.

Jesse, not doing something because "Something wrong might occur" would keep people from doing anything. It would be more advisable to research what it is you are doing before attempting it.

That being said there is no way, to my knowledge, of successfully removing the entire image and frame from the log on screen. If anyone has found a way that doesn't involve making a ghost account I am trying to find a solution as well.

I think that it is possible to remove the entire image and frame from the log on screen, but that account will be unaccesible afterwards :-(
    Goto
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlist
    and create: <accountName> Dword 0

Probably you'll have to create too the keys SpecialAccounts and Userlist.

Thank you but that was already suggested. I don't think it counts as a solution if it makes the account unusable.

I think that its a file called authui.dll. In all 3 uifiles (12400-12403, depending what button set you use)

Find:

UserTileTemplate

And do either of the two

<UserTile resid="UserTileTemplate" margin="rect(0rp,10rp,0rp,10rp)" height="0" layout="verticalflowlayout(0,2,2)" sheet="UsersStyle">

<UserTile resid="UserTileTemplate" margin="rect(0rp,10rp,0rp,10rp)" visible="false" layout="verticalflowlayout(0,2,2)" sheet="UsersStyle">

Try to use the first as it shrinks it and doesnt take up space and the second method still uses up the space since its simply hidden.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

NewTech, you were "spot on" as the Britts say. for the file name. Resource Hack allowed me to access the authui.dll.

So to sum the most viable solution to this question/problem is "Get resource hacker and edit authui.dll to reflect the changes you want to make. You can either do this by replacing the image OR re-writing the code.

When playing with system files it is always best to keep a copy of the original named fileName-safe.dll That way if you mess something critical up you can always revert back to the original.

Thanks for your help. When I noticed how old the thread was I didn't think I would get a response.

Thought I should add that it may involve taking ownership of the Windows system file.
    Default ownership is a program called TrustedInstaller.
    I only recommend changing these settings temporarily to hack the DLL's. once everything is done change them back to avoid any access permission errors or security holes.

question Re: Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    I think that its a file called authui.dll. In all 3 uifiles (12400-12403, depending what button set you use)

Find:

UserTileTemplate

And do either of the two

<UserTile resid="UserTileTemplate" margin="rect(0rp,10rp,0rp,10rp)" height="0" layout="verticalflowlayout(0,2,2)" sheet="UsersStyle">

<UserTile resid="UserTileTemplate" margin="rect(0rp,10rp,0rp,10rp)" visible="false" layout="verticalflowlayout(0,2,2)" sheet="UsersStyle">

Try to use the first as it shrinks it and doesnt take up space and the second method still uses up the space since its simply hidden.
    I have edited my dll file and also made a backup copy of the original. My problem is I get a message when I try to delete the original or overwrite the original saying the file is in use in Windows Explorer. I have also tried safe mode and I got the same message.

Is there a workaround?

I have a little bit confusion that I am not sure if there is any method, that will help you to Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen. It will be better if you dont play with such parts of the system. This is because something wrong might occur. Even if you get rid of the same, there is a possibility that your user account may become inaccessible. So, my suggestion to you is to quit playing with the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by samual123 View Post
    I have a little bit confusion that I am not sure if there is any method, that will help you to Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen. It will be better if you dont play with such parts of the system. This is because something wrong might occur. Even if you get rid of the same, there is a possibility that your user account may become inaccessible. So, my suggestion to you is to quit playing with the operating system.
    I am well aware of the risks involved. That's why I backed up my hard drive. If something goes wrong I'll just restore to a previous state.