Thread: Dualboot XP / Edubuntu

Dualboot XP / Edubuntu

Hello friends,
    I am confused between the operating system to install first. I want Windows XP as well as I will be working on the Edubuntu. So I want both the mentioned operating system into my system. But I had never done the dual-booting with the Edubuntu. I had kept Windows Vista and Windows XP before. But I don't have much knowledge about the Edubuntu. Which operating system should I install first between Dualboot XP / Edubuntu Waiting for your reply.
    The Gaming Machine:
    Processor: Core 2 Duo E6400
    Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    RAM: 2GB XMS2 Corsair PC2-6400
    Video: ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB w/ Arctic Accellero
    Drive: 74GB "WD Raptor" 10000RPM
    Sound: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Watercooling: *Soon* Zalman Reserator

Re: Dualboot XP / Edubuntu

During the installation of ubuntu, ask if you want to install a boot loader (called GRUB). He simply put it is, and when you start, it will ask which to start. If you want GRUB to handle the boot menu install XP first. I always install each on separate Hdds though and switch in the bios. As XP prompts you to start immediately and you will squeeze F8 options. Also I have noticed on the grub when you choose so goes directly to load, then if you need access in Windows XP safe mode.

If your version of Ubuntu Linux uses the Gnome environment, nothing prevents you from installing a KDE application. The HUGE advantage of synaptic (your packet manager) is that it manages dependencies - it will then automatically install the libraries it needs. It is transparent to the user - the only thing that could fail him is to have menus in English in this new program under KDE (just restart the System Administration Menu Language Support. It is quite possible to install from an ubuntu "classic" with the edubuntu-desktop meta package.

The problem is that some packages are inseparable from the meta package (normal is the principle of meta package). If I install edubuntu on a ubuntu boot SPASH or theme (icons, window decorations for edubuntu) will be changed but I am under gnome. Linux to easily move any window without having access to "the bar", just hold down the ALT key (the default) and click on the window and move into supported ALT. If you're confined to one hdd though you obviously can't do that. But GRUB has come a long way and should configure most of the menu.lst for you, but don't be surprised if you have to manually configure it.

I wanted to installed Windows XP and Edubuntu 6.06 on a my system which was having 2 partitions, and I made that dual boot. I was facing the similar problems with Edubuntu because of the Intel Graphics card inboard. But after a few attempts with different parameters It worked. Grub installed in MBR perfectly. For partitioning Ubuntu i put it in hda2, and made an extended partition, making swap hda5 and a fat32 partition hda6. Hope that you would get some help from this post.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

When you will choose the partition, grub He will help you automatically, cons just in case, Linux does not support ntfs, so your score will not be visible through windows, so what you should do is formatting your partition E: and create a place one can partition. Yes from the boot, grub will start after the bios and ask yourself to choose between Linux and XP, and it has every startup. Also don't forget to keep a CD of windows if grub does not install just to run a repair command prompt and boot to windows.
    "All gave some, some gave all."