Thread: Root Terminal not working properly in Mint7

Root Terminal not working properly in Mint7

I just inserted Root Terminal to my Main Menu from System Tools. It worked well in Linux Mint6, but does not work in Linux Mint7. It emerges to load, sending a symbol to the task bar for a small number of seconds, but after that not anything. The command line is:
    Code:
    gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
    Don’t know now what to do? Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to function? Please provide some suggestions.

Re: Root Terminal not working properly in Mint7

I have bit information which may assist. I think you will discover that '/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator' is a wrapper term. That is, it is just a symlinks which points to a genuine application or config file. The application it spots to is defined by you in the Menu- Administration- Alternatives Configuration menu entry. While you go to that entry, you can select which 'Terminal' application is the default for the wrapper to spot to. e.g., I changed mine to the gnome terminal just because I utilize it for the majority additional CLI things.

I have been fighting with how to obtain this feature to function, for longer than I care to confess. I have been a KDE person for so lengthy, and root file managers and terminals are constructed into the menu system of any distro I can memorize by means of. I have been uncomfortable to ask the query regarding how to get this menu choice to work in Linux Mint 7. Today I lastly reached the tipping point where my desire to set off the feature surpassed my vanity, and up popped your reply on my primary investigate.

There is a cause which might not right away meet the eye as to why I think it is the responsibility of Linux users that know superior to notify novel users regarding over utilizing root. In Windows it has all the time been the norm to sprint as root, or whatever you wish to call it. Windows was intended as a solitary user, non-networked system. The programs printed for it had no cause to not be sprint as root. It allowed for extra capabilities to be simply written into the software and fewer hassles for the operator. This trend has constant over the years and is one of the things which make Windows so anxious in the multi user, networked world we currently survive in.

The other kind of security malpractices are ones which affect others on the internet as much if not over they do the personal user. Running X sessions and GUI programs in root drop into this class. These types of actions invite interlopers to take control of your system, which after that becomes fraction of a boot net or is utilized for additional nefarious reasons against me, your neighbor, and additional innocents on the internet. For the majority part, except you are skilled in the art, you won't even know your system has been struggled from your control. These insalubrious operators go to immense lengths to stop you, the rightful owner, from becoming conscious of their presence.