Thread: How to redirect start menu in Windows 7

How to redirect start menu in Windows 7

Hello everyone,
    I have a personal computer which runs on Windows 7 and recently i was trying to implement a Start Menu redirection on the Windows 7. Before there was no problem in Windows XP operating system and I was able to created a GPO to do the redirection of the Start Menu to C:\Desktop\StartMenu. After that i have created a folder structure in the C:\Desktop\StartMenu\Programs and in Windows XP it will show what is under \Programs folder and in the Windows 7 it cannot show. Please help me regarding this topic..

Re: How to redirect start menu in Windows 7

After looking at your problem i can say that the Windows 7 and the Windows XP have different Start menu structures. So please you need to use Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 so that you can manage GPO for the Windows 7. This can help you to use the redirection method on the windows 7 and also if you want then you can have some information by going on the internet.

I was also having same problem and i was not able to do the redirect method with windows 7. After many tries i was able to do the redirection method with the windows 7. I enabled the GPO named "Remove user's folders from the Start Menu" which was causing the problem. After removing it the problem was solved and then i was able to do the redirection of the start menu on windows 7.

Dr. V Guest

I have seen that the profile and the folder redirection only works if you let the Windows create the folders. I have created a home-share and gave user the full control on the highest level. When the user first log on, they auto-create the profile folder themselves which gives them the full control and ownership of the folder. Hope this helps you out with your problem.

The Start-menu redirection which is currently working on the start menu doesn't redirect, we need to recreate another GPO for the start-menu redirection, it works on Windows 7 but not XP. People will be logging on both XP and Win7 machines, then we have to leave both of the existing GPO and the new GPO which is designed for Windows 7 in, in order to get the right GPO to work for the right machine we need to implement WMI filters on both GPO's.