Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ksh version problem under Redhat

Operating Systems

Old 05-04-2010

Ksh version problem under Redhat

Hello
I have RHEL 4 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4), installed on two machines. On one of this (machine 1), I made an installation "basic", i.e I have not used the extra CD. On the other (machine 2) I used this CD, which I found KSH, so I installed that. But surprise, I found myself with KSH on both (I want), but especially with two different versions of KSH. If I could identify version KSH, AC I would have fewer problems, but this is not the case: In the man ksh, it is clear that KSH set an environment variable, KSH_VERSION. Now on the machine 2, this variable is not present when I am in ksh. Is there a way to know what is the shell used in a given terminal? Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2010

Re: Ksh version problem under Redhat

Hello,
I think you have not installed the korn shell properly during the installation, that is why you are getting such an error, with a little luck, ksh is installed via an rpm
Here is the command to install it, if you have not installed it properly then you can try installing again
Code:
rpm-qa | grep ksh
Here you have to issue this command in the terminal as a root user.
Old 05-04-2010

Hello,
This is what you should get when you do the man command in the terminal. The man may be for ksh (RHE3):

Code:
VERSION
This page documents version
@ (#) PD KSH v5.4.14 8/04/14.2
public domain korn shell.
Just type the man command in your terminal and see what is the result you are getting.
Old 05-04-2010

Hello
It gives something:
Machine 1:
Code:
pdksh-5.2.14-30
Machine 2:
Code:
ksh-20040229-12
good as the first seems to be a correct result, which gives something usable, but the second ... Well I do not understand what it says. Can you please explain me, why the second is not showing the correct result.
Old 05-04-2010

Hello,
Just try the following commands
Code:
Which ksh
followed by
Code:
ls-al [will display all]
Sometimes a facility would have simply made a glib link (symbolic, it is more visible) on sh ksh or bash). Hope the following information will help you. If yo have any other problem then do post back.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , ,