Thread: Windows 7 Pro not saving user profiles after connecting to Windows Server 2003 SBE domain controller

Windows 7 Pro not saving user profiles after connecting to Windows Server 2003 SBE domain controller

I have installed a windows 7 professional on my computer and my problem is when i connect Windows Server 2003 SBE domain controller with my windows 7 computer, It is all working fine as it can log in perfectly, you can work without any problem but problem arises after logging out. When i log back in then it shows that Creating User Desktop everything has been set to the default without saving anything.

Re: Windows 7 Pro not saving user profiles after connecting to Windows Server 2003 SBE domain controller

I have been facing the same problem on my laptop when i have installed a windows 7 pro on my laptop. But i think you are lucky that you have got an answer to this earlier then me. You just need to follow the given steps.
    1. Firs of all log in a domain user account.
    2. Do some changes on your desktop.
    3. Reboot your system as an administrator.
    4. Open the Control Panel and click "User Accounts"
    5. Click "Manage another account" and click the problematic account.
    6. Click "Delete the account" and click "Delete Files" button, and then select "Delete Account" button. Then, the problematic account will be removed.
    7. Please locate the C:\Users and check whether the problematic user folder exists or not. If still lists, please remove it.
    8. Click Start Menu and type Regedit in the open box, and then press Enter. If prompted, click on Yes in the UAC prompt.
    9. In the Registry Editor, on the left pane, navigate to the following key by expanding the plus sign (+):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    10. There will be several long SIDs in the left panel, select one of them and look at the right panel. There will be a ProfileImagePath key.
    11. Double click ProfileImagePath key and see if the value data is the same as problematic user account that you deleted in step 1 above.
    If not, please click another long SIDs until you locate the same one and move on the next steps.
    12. Right click on the SID key, and click on Export.
    13. Type in a name and save the REG file to a safe location.
    NOTE: This is a backup. To Restore the Backup, please double click on the REG backup file.
    14. Right click on the SID key and then click delete.
    15. Restart the computer to Normal Mode.
    What's the result?

Re: Windows 7 Pro not saving user profiles after connecting to Windows Server 2003 SBE domain controller

I am using the HP xw8400 Workstation on which i have installed a windows 7 professional. And me too facing the same problem as my domain user profile is not being saved as a local type as it is saved for temporary usage which in further sets all the settings as default after logging out. Can anybody help me with the same as it was working without any problem on windows vista.

I think you have the same problem as of mine and i have found a solution for that. Actually it was happening because of the accounts membership on the W2003 Active Directory Server. But i have added other users on this windows 7 and their profile was saved as local. For dealing with this problem you have to go to an Active Directory on the server and remove the your member ship from the everything except some internal distribution groups, administrator and domain user.

If you want to create a new Default Network User Profile then you can easily create by going through the following steps.
    1. Log in as an administrator in any kind of domain user account on your windows 7 operating system.
    2. Configure user settings such as background colors and screen savers to meet your company standard. Log off the computer.
    3. Log on to the computer used in step 1 with a domain administrator account.
    4. Use the Run command to connect to the Netlogon share of a domain controller. For Example, the path used in the contoso.com domain looks like \\HQ-CON-SRV-01\NETLOGON
    5. Create a new folder in the Netlogon share and name it Default User.v2.
    6. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    7. Click Advanced System Settings. Under User Profiles, click Settings.
    8. The User Profiles dialog box shows a list of profiles stored on the computer. Click the name of the user you used in step 1. Click Copy To.
    9. In the Copy To dialog box, type the network path to the Windows Vista default user folder you created in step 5 in the Copy profile to text box. For example, the network path in the contoso.com domain is \\HQ-CON-SRV-01\NETLOGON \Default User.v2.
    10. In Permitted to use, click Change. Type the name Everyone,and then click OK.
    Click OK to start copying the profile. Close all remaining windows and log off the computer when the copying process is complete