Thread: Booting to WinPE disc = 0xc000000f required device is inaccessible

Booting to WinPE disc = 0xc000000f required device is inaccessible

First I have geared up a new machine using a clean install of Win7 RTM x64, installed all of our productivity application, then ran sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown

After that on another machine, I formed a WinPE ISO with the Win7 AIK and burned it to a DVD.

My next step was to confine the image and upload it to a fileserver. Though, I cannot even boot into the PE environment. But I am getting this
    the boot selection failed as a required device is unreachable.

I have tried creating both x86 and x64 WinPE DVDs but I am getting same result. Tried several, in fact, to ensure it's not due to a burn error. I am not doing any customizations to the ISO other than copying the appropriate version of imagex.exe to the root directory.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Booting to WinPE disc = 0xc000000f required device is inaccessible

I have also tried the same thing using window 7 AIK, with a default ISO, and received the same error you are getting.
    When it creates the WINPE directory, it does not in fact boot a evasion boot.wim file in the ISO\sources directory.

copy c:\winpe\winpe.wim C:\winpe\iso\sources\boot.

So, you have to copy the WINPE.wim into that directory, renamed it to boot.wim, recreated the ISO, and after that it will surely boot.

I am trying to study to sit the 70-680 tests. But could not get WinPE to boot, figured it had to be a matter with WinPE and VirtualBox. Tried all possible things then finally determined to install the Win7AIK on hardware but got the identical problem. Then I searched and ran transversely this thread. I am thankfully I wanted to in fact try things and learned the subject with the Win7AIK.

I burn image onto a DVD, using ISO recorder for Win7, and boot the 755. I push a key to boot from the DVD and right away receive the error. I tried the AMD64 files as well opinion 'perhaps' it was my technician machine's current operating system install that was causing the trouble, but that did not work. In a earlier image creation process, I started the system after running sysprep and it started fine, so I am not tending to believe that sysprep is breaking the machine. Any idea to solve the problem

This was the perfect solution I got. I had earlier attempted to burn multiple DVD (x86, amd64, single processor, multi-processor) and nothing worked and always received an error. After making the copy of winpe.wim into the iso\sources\boot.wim, the winpe disk worked fine.

Typical MS Press books for exams prep. Just poorly written instructions.

Thanks Kaufman / Solomon.

In my MS 70-680 book the section where you practice the material with step by step instructions for creating the PE ISO image is easy to follow.
    Missing steps not covered, probably mentioned in the chapter somewhere but not given again at end of the chapter > The need to copy winpe.wim / rename it boot.wim / move the boot.WIM file to correct folder prior to burning the disk is left out. I made a few coffee coasters :-) but fianly got it working.