Thread: unexpected error device missing error 711? in Windows 7

unexpected error device missing error 711? in Windows 7

I am using the the windows 7 on my computer and i want to create a VPN network connection on my computer. But the problem is that i am getting "unavailable - device missing" in window network connections. and when i try to change it by myself so i got an error saying that unexpected error device missing error 711?

Re: unexpected error device missing error 711? in Windows 7

Hold On! I have got a trick by which i think your problem gets solved. Please follow the steps:
    1) Used msconfig to switch to safe mode boot.
    2) Booted to safe mode.
    3) ran cmd.exe as an administrator.
    4) typed "cd C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI".
    5) typed "rename RtBackup RtBackup2".
    6) Used msconfig to switch to normal boot mode.
    7) Reboot and found event viewer working.

Hello, Me too having the same problem of the device missing error 711 when i try to set up a VPN network connection on my Windows 7 Laptop. I have a DELL latitude with a configuration as follows.
    • 2GB mem
    • Mobile ATI Radeon X600
    • Intel Pro Wireless 2200/BG
    • Windows 7 Home Edition

Can anybody help me please, I am not familiar with this network kind of problems.

I think if you go an error saying about the device missing on your windows 7 operating system then you can reboot your computer. Actually you can fix this error by going in to the msconfig. Click on the start menu and the go to Run and type cmd.exe but make sure that you are logged on as an administrator. Now type "cd C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI" then again type "rename RtBackup RtBackup2". Now you may switch to the normal mode and then reboot your system and check for connecting again.

Dr. V Guest

You have not specified that what type of VPN network connection you are trying to set up, Whether it is Incoming type of network connection or an Outgoing type of network connection. Anyway I have provided you the steps to set up a both the kind of VPN network connection for your windows operating system.
    Configure Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7:
    1. First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Click on Change adapter settings.
    3. Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    4. Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
    5. Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    6. Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
    7. Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.
    Configure Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7:
    1. First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Click on Set up a new connection or network.
    3. Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
    4. Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
    5. Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
    6. Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
    7. For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
    8. Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.