Thread: Windows Virtual PC and IPv6

Windows Virtual PC and IPv6

Hello,
    Can anyone help me to find out the solution for my confusion. Virtual machines in Virtual Server 2005 support IPv6. Do virtual machines in Windows Virtual PC support IPv6 as well? The Windows XP Mode appears not. Have you all any idea about this so please post your ideas.

Thanks

According to me, It should not be. I fired up my Virtual PC running under Windows 7 and the Internet / Network was well. After two or three minutes the connection just stalled.

A restart would enable it to be in function again for a few minutes, after a short period of time, it would stop fucntioning again. After powering off IPV6 the network connection / Internet going fine. I am sorry it was not a solution but will save you countless time spending with Antivirus or Firewall settings!!

After waiting for some years,Techniques such as Network Address Translation (NAT), we are finally now going and traversing out of IPv4 addresses on the net. Major ISPs such as Comcast, and Web sites like YouTube now support IPv6. IPv6 really is coming seriously attention in corporate networks and the Internet. Fortunately for the enterprise desktop, Windows 7 is also ready.

How IPv6 addressing should work. Instead, an IPv6 device should autoconfigure its address with the nearest Discovery Protocol (NDP) to consider their network and interface identifier and to form the computer’s 128-bit IPv6 address.

These are some of the categories to the allocation of the addresses which will identify that how addresses should be assigned -

• IETF RFC 2373, IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture
    • IETF RFC 2464, Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet Networks
    • RFC 4941, Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6

because of some causes, Microsoft mixed up how the interface identifier should be generated even though the engineers from Microsoft supported to write RFC 4941. You can enforce Windows 7 to use the absolute way by entering the following command from a DOS :

Code:
    netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
    I would suggest you that you run this as an automated command on all your new Windows 7 installations.