Thread: Virtual PC Causes System Lockup

Virtual PC Causes System Lockup

Hello there, I have a Dell Latitude D531 laptop which is powered by AMD Turion64 x2 2 Ghz processor and has 2 Gb of RAM. On this laptop I installed Windows 7 operating system and installed the Virtual XP mode on it. After installation of Virtual XP mode, the system freezes after entering user name and password. This happens everytime I start the Virtual Xp and so I cant figure out what is causing such problem. So if anybody can explain me why Virtual PC Causes System Lockup, it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Re: Virtual PC Causes System Lockup

The RAM of your computer is very low for running the Virtual PC mode in Windows 7 and that may be the reason the system is getting stuck. All the files which are to be executed on the computer are first copied on the RAM of the computer and then executed. If lot of application are to be executed at the same time, it will take up lot of space of the system memory. If such a situation occurs then the system will get stuck due to memory depletion. Try and upgrade the RAM of the computer and then try to run the virtual xp mode in Windows XP.

You will have to enable the hardware virtualization mode on the computer from the BIOS setup. The hardware virtualization must be disabled on the computer due to which the system is getting stuck while booting in Virtual PC mode. Once the hardware virtualization is turned on, you will not face the same problem again. To enable the hardware virtualization on the computer, follow the steps below :-
    • Press the F12 key when boot menu text appears at startup
    • Select BIOS setup and press the Enter key
    • Using the mouse, expand the Virtualization Support menu item by clicking on the plus to the left of Virtualization Support and select Virtualization
    • Check the Enable Intel Virtualization Technology checkbox
    • Click Apply
    • Click Exit
    • Shut down the computer, wait a few seconds, and restart your computer

It is possible that the operating system which you are using is not working properly due to which the computer is getting stuck. There are many files which are associated to the operating system of the computer. If any of the files which is associated to the operating system is missing or corrupt then the operating system will not work properly. Insert the installation disk of the operating system and boot the system from the disk. When the installer loads and gives the installation options, select Repair current windows installation option and let the procedure complete. Once done see if the problem persists.

I suspect that the system is infected with some kind of virus due to which the Virtual XP mode is not working on the computer. Virus's get downloaded while visiting certain websites or while downloading some data from the Internet. Some virus's have the tendency of getting linked with the files which are associated to the frequently used applications. If such a situation occurs then the application will not work properly. Hence scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected. See if the performance of the computer improves.

I think that the Virtual PC components and Virtual XP mode which are installed on the computer have some problems. Sometimes the installation files for the virtual components and virtual xp mode which are downloaded have some corrupt files. When such corrupt application is installed on the computer, it will lead to system crash. Therefore remove the currently installed Virtual PC and Virtual XP components from the computer and remove the files/keys which are related to the application from the computer. Once all the traces of the application are removed, reboot the system and download the latest installer which are available for the Virtual PC and Virtual XP. Install it and check if the problem persists.