Thread: Windows 7 Virtual PC on machine without hardware virtualizations

Windows 7 Virtual PC on machine without hardware virtualizations

I have installed windows vista currently as well as Windows Virtual PC, I need to upgrade from vista to Windows 7. I don't have hardware virtualization on my Intel CPU. I don't have any problem with Windows XP Mode.

Vista is running with Virtual PC 2007 and working very well for me now on this hardware. Can I use Windows 7 with same Virtual PC (without Windows XP mode) if I do not have Intel Virtualization Technology in my CPU?

I also like to use virtualization and have created so many virtual machines for separate purpose in development environments. After upgrading to Windows 7 , I installed the new Windows Virtual PC. When I move to download the virtual PC software then the page pops up with a “Windows Virtual PC requires a CPU with the Intel™ Virtualization Technology or AMD-V® feature turned” warning.

Then after, I find out the reason for this warning- my 2.5GHz Intel Dual Core E5200 does not have hardware virtualization support, Then I tried to install Windows VPC. The installation was going well but upon running the sofware, it occurred me a error “hardware not supported” . Then after i installed MS Virtual PC 2007 suggested by my friend installation goes successfully. However, I am getting following error when goes to run it:

“The program is blocked due to compatibility issues”

System requirements for Windows Virtual PC

First of all, Be sure that your PC is ready for Windows Virtual PC before you upgrade. Need to choose right away for running well? Purchase a new PC installed with Windows 7 and start with fresh.

• 1 GHz 32-bit / 64-bit processor required
    • Memory (RAM)
    • 2GB memory or higher recommended

Minimum required disk space 15 GB per virtual Windows environment and this is the list of supported host operating system:

*Windows 7 Home Basic
    *Windows 7 Home Premium
    *Windows 7 Enterprise
    *Windows 7 Professional
    *Windows 7 Ultimate

Note: Windows XP Mode is only provided in Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Yeah liberror is right , VPC 2007 R1 is much compatible to runs on Windows7. This is not officially supported . It can occur some incompatibility error and wouldn't be installed if you have the new Windows 7 version of VPC and already installed.

The VPC 2007 can be installed and used easily but not Windows VPC which is the latest version of VPC for Windows 7 environment. Windows VPC needs hardware virtualization where as VPC2007 is free from this headache and VPC2007 will run under Windows 7.

Dr. V Guest

Virtual PC 2007 runs very well in Windows 7 64xbit. It is a good solution than the brain dead new "Windows VPC" thing needed for XP compatibility. You need to Uninstall both and then after re-install VPC 2007 and you would get fine way to go.

I played with the latest WVPC in the last Windows 7 RC. It causes a lot od issues than it solves. VPC 2007 is still Microsoft provided best solution for the developers community needs to dev/test in XP/Vista/7/Server 2003/Server 2008 on a single computer system.