Thread: This pre-release version of Windows 7 Ultimate will expire in 0 hours

This pre-release version of Windows 7 Ultimate will expire in 0 hours

Hello, Recently I have started getting message on my Windows 7 ultimate called:

"This pre-release version of Windows 7 Ultimate will expire in 0 hours".

To keep using Windows, back up your files, and then install any edition of Windows 7 Ultimate

It didnt bother me much and I started playing games, surfing the net afterwards for more than 2 hours and nothing happened? As I have installed a legit copy of Windows 7 then I was wondering what happens next or was that just a bug in this version of release? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks

Re: This pre-release version of Windows 7 Ultimate will expire in 0 hours

Have you tried to find out which version or build have you installed on your pc by typing winver in run. In any case if you are using the final version then expiration message should not appear at all. However, can you please tell us if your system is shutting itself down every hour or so, so that we might come to a conclusion that you should be using the RC version of the Windows. This is totally strange.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Hello, can you tell us how did you install your windows os version on your pc? Have you upgraded it from the RC version or so? If you can go into the system properties then you would be able to check the system version that your are using. To do so, first right click on my computer and then choose properties and their you will se a detailed information of your edition. If you are not sure whether you are using the RC version then I suppose you might need to get a RTM version to avoid that message.

If the system is RTM version, you'd better run SFC to check if there are system files corrupted. You can refer to the following KB:

In any case, if you are sure that your system is a RTM version then you can try to run SFC to check whether some system files are corrupted or not. To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

Open an elevated command prompt.
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    edit sfcdetails.txt

Yes, run the SFC and if the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:
    icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
    Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:
    Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination

Applies to all versions of Windows 7 editions.

I guess you are using the RC version of the Windows 7 release and you should know that Windows 7 beta or RC doesn't have any upgrade functionality built into the installer. If you still want to use it then you will have to reinstall the RC version of Windows 7, you just need to completely reinstall it. Usually RC version shouldnt expire before June 1, 2010, so perhaps you can get a new key to activate it.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain