Thread: Unable to open .dll files

Unable to open .dll files

I was downloading a program from the net internet and when downloading the file, comes a compressed file i.e. zipped file. After extracting all the files I click the icon which initiates download and it says "You are attempting to open a file of a type "Application Extension' (.dll). It meant that these files are used by OS and editing them would damage your system. What are .dll files? Why is this happening? Why am I not able to Open it?

Re: Unable to open .dll files

Just calm down ! Reading the question above it seems you do know anything about .dll files. Dll stands for dynamic link library. It is a library of executable data or functions and can be used by a windows application. A program accesses the functions by creating either a static or dynamic link to the DLL. DLL can also contain just data. A DLL can be used by several applications at the same time. Dll files which are used by some of the programs are also used by other programs.

Searching on the internet I could find out the following procedure to open .dll files. First of all left-click to download the files. If in case it does not work right-clicking and use Save Target As. Make sure you disable any Download Accelerators such as "Download accelerator", "Getright" and "Gozilla" you may be using. It is mandatory that java script must be enabled.

Sharing my personal experience I would like to say that I myself have passed through the same problem. Then I learnt that, when you are not able to download any dll-files or You get a Link which is expired, Open with the help of notepad. Then when you Open with., click that button and choose notepad from the list shown. From there you will be able to edit the DLL file or whatever you trying to do. You can also copy the .dll file to the drivers folder in windows/system32 applications.

Looking at the above posts, I would like to suggest that If someone told you to download it, find better advisers. Dll files are used by programs which are specific in nature ad use specific programs specific dll files. SurFing installation, .exe and . msi files extension must be there, fo r that we need to pay for it which proves very fruitful, free ones are not that efficient.