Thread: 2nd physical CPU not recognized by Windows 7: "Detect HAL" option missing from MSCONFIG

2nd physical CPU not recognized by Windows 7: "Detect HAL" option missing from MSCONFIG

I am using a Windows 7 OS on my machine that was recently installed on my machine Dell with Xeon processor. The problem is that it only recognizes only 1 processor even though there are 2 processor. So while searching I came up with a solution that if we use the option from msconfig and check detect hal then the issue is resolved. But for me it is not working. So if one has some otehr idea it would be great. Thanks

Re: 2nd physical CPU not recognized by Windows 7: "Detect HAL" option missing from MSCONFIG

Which version of Windows 7 have you installed on your pc. If it is Windows 7 Home Premium then I am afraid to tell you that only 1 physical CPU is supported by that OS. You will require Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate or higher versions to enable 2 physical CPU's. Contact Microsoft to get an upgrade key by spending some penny and get it done.

Re: 2nd physical CPU not recognized by Windows 7: "Detect HAL" option missing from MSCONFIG

Big Fish is wrong, according to some docs here nothing is mentioned about any number of processors limitation recognized with any of the Windows 7 editions.

1. Clause 2(c) of the Home Edition EULA provides as follows: "2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS ... c. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at any one time. Unless otherwise proviced in these licence terms, you may not use the software on any other computer."

I think that if you update the BIOS of your mobo and the drivers for the Motherboard Chipset then all will be fine. I have faced many such issues and after updating system drivers all my problem gets resolved. In case after upgradation, your problem still doesnt solves then try to call microsoft and explain them your issue. Hope that helps.

I was also in a similar situation and upgraded from Windows 7 professional to Windows 7 Ultimate and faced the same problem. So it seems that even the Windows 7 Ultimate Version is not perfect and dosent solve the 2nd physical CPU recognition problem. So I guess based on the above statements we have to upgrade Windows 7 Home a level above which is the prime solution at the moment.

You can follow the steps below to enable the second processor:

• Go to Start menu and type "msconfig"(without quotes) and hit enter.
    • Go to the "Boot" tab and click on "Advanced Options".
    • In the new window please check the "Number of processors" box and choose the number as 2.
    • It will ask you to restart your system.

Hope that helps
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600