Thread: Roadmap for Virtual Server and Virtual PC

Roadmap for Virtual Server and Virtual PC

Hi friends,
    I would be using the Virtual PC or Virtual Server and I am having very less knowledge about it. After the Hyper-V launches, what about the Virtual PC and Virtual Server.?? Since, I would be working on Virtual PC or Virtual Server i want some information about it. Expecting some better explanation and information from your side.

Re: What is virtualization?

I think that you first should know the concepts of virtualization. The software that can run on a single machine multiple operating systems and multiple applications separately from each other as if they were working on separate physical machines. The centerpiece of a real strategy for server consolidation, server virtualization increases hardware utilization and enables organizations to rapidly configure and deploy new servers.

Re: Roadmap for Virtual Server and Virtual PC

• The software Virtual PC lets you create virtual machines on which you can install an OS of your choice. This could be useful in many cases, eg testing an OS without having to repartition your hard drive and create the dual boot. The disadvantage of this software is to launch your new OS at the same time as the old, so all your PC resources will be shared by both OS. Therefore, you can not get the maximum performance from your PC to the new OS.
    • Microsoft Virtual Server is an application that facilitates the creation of virtual machines in the operating systems Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Virtual machines are created and managed through the web interface IIS or Windows client application called VMRCplus.

Re: How to create a virtual machine?

The following steps can be useful for creating a virtual machine :
    1. Download Virtual PC and install it.
    2. Click "Next".
    3. You have three options :
      • Create a virtual machine.
      • Use default settings to create a virtual machine.
      • Add an existing virtual machine.
    4. You can consider the first option. Leave the first box checked, and click "Next".
    5. Here you can specify the name and path to save the settings of your Virtual PC. The choice of name is arbitrary. If you omit the path, the file will be saved by default in "My Documents \ My Virtual Machine". Click "Next".
    6. The choice of operating system to install on your virtual PC, lets you define the parameters recommended for the creation of this PC.
    7. If the amount of memory (RAM) recommended you seems inadequate or "excessive" check "Set memory", and drag the indicator until you get the desired quantity (or enter the desired value directly in the value field).

Re: Roadmap for Virtual Server and Virtual PC

The main differences between the two are :
    • The OS support for Virtual PC and Virtual Server is Windows XP and Windows Vista.
    • The performance - If you use Virtual PC your post must have at least 2GB of Memory and processor type duo or quad core and it regardless of the type of virtual machine that you do Win98/Win2003 turned VM.