Thread: Testing maemo 5

Testing maemo 5

I write to you cause I have a question :I desire to test Maemo 5 and I not locate any location where I can download it : I located the SDK but what I need is the actual system cause the SDK is actually inadequate and full of bugs .Logically , because Maemo is a type of Linux distro we might be able to test it but I actually didn't find where I might download it Do you have an idea for my issue ?

Re: Testing maemo 5

Well you should wait for the hardware, as your maemo is going to run on it that all it will run on (unless you immediately take a gaze at it , which is utilize the same or related updated components and will run on a variety of environments, well if you really want to test it you can ask the maemo users , specially to those people who make the use of the smart phones that has maemo installed in it.

Because it's just an ARM cpu I suppose it ought to be possible to run it on an emulator or you can compile it on some other platform or crosscompile it you might not get emulation for all the particular chips but it must be possible to merely run the fundamental steps I think. I think crosscompiling will definitely help you to test this operating system , you can test it in the way Ubuntu is being tested.

Maemo 5 has not been available everywhere yet . If you have problems with the SDK , I agree with you that it is really very restricted and has lots of bugs in it. , you can look in the official site of the maemo and see if there is any file against the maemo file is available or not, if you find any you can just take a look in those files and then conclude on your result. But I do think you will get any complaints .

I contradict to some points on what is being said above, if maemo5 is open source, that does not imply that it will run in each and every hardware, neither does that imply that the whole operating system will be open-sourced, a few components will stay as close-sourced.Even once the hardware is out; there is no assurance that you will be able to run the complete operating system in your machine. So if you really wish to test it you will have to wait for the hardware.