Thread: Window XP driver.cab file expanded in system 32 folder

Window XP driver.cab file expanded in system 32 folder

Hi everybody!

As far as I know, my father's PC had a Windows XP problem that prevented all major Microsoft software from starting and even small things like the paste function did not work. And programs in general, even anti-virus sw, could not be installed or uninstalled.

The XP was OEM and my cousin, who works for my father, didn't want to restore the whole thing in order not to re-install all the engineering software they have there. He tried to fix it by his own and expanded the whole driver.cab file into the drivers folder , and because that didn't help he expanded it again in the system32 folder .

Then I made a repair installation with an XP CD of mine to solve the main problem and now the XP works great but a little slow at starting. I wonder if it is loading most of those files and perhaps twice. Does anyone has any suggestion to clean that? There are almost 7k files in system32 and 5k in drivers.

I could have deleted both folders before the repair installation, but I thought that in any of them there might have been files related to the engineering software, which would have made necessary the re-installation of everything.

Re: Window XP driver.cab file expanded in system 32 folder

Download a tool called APK Duplicate FileFinder from here that will delete any duplicate files that exist on the system32 folder and the driver folder. Other than that I wouldnt recommend you to delete any files because majority of the files are for windows components and their uses.