Thread: Does running out of space in drive C have anything to do with slowing windows 7?

unsure Does running out of space in drive C have anything to do with slowing windows 7?

Hi. so i got an hp laptop with windows 7 in it , with a c drive 400 GB and a D drive 13 GB the D drive only included the recovery , that was few months ago .. in the past 4 days i started to get a message says that window is running out of space in windows 7 although the last time i checked it was about 150 GB now it's 0 MB i started to delete some files until i got about 5 GB free space , but it was only minutes until the drive was 0 mb free space again ,, i couldn't do any thing with my lap top it was extremely slow and it used to frezz every 5 minutes , the point is .. a bought an wd hard disk to put in it all the freaking files i have , now the problem is a can't install it cuz my stupid lap top is too slow to do it , that ok i can wait forever , but i'm afraid that even if i cleared about let say 350 GB ,, i'm afraid that my windows 7 will still be slow like it is now , so does running out of space in drive C have anything to do with slowing windows 7? and what do you think is the problem? oh ya i forget to mention the whole thing about my c drive going from alots of GB's to 0 or little more . used to happen to me from once in a while then after couple of hours or shutting the system down it return to the way it was before without me doing anything , but this time was the longest ever and i tried to wait for it to return like it was and i shut it down and searched him from viruses with Norton but nothing changed .. and i'm about to cry so please help me

Does running out of space in drive C have anything to do with slowing windows 7?

It if you are getting continuously zero GB, then it seems that there is some issue with your laptop it, might happen that your system is being infected with virus because of which whenever you try to delete and make some space it again consumes the space and less space is one of the reason for which your Windows to work very slow.

Re: Does running out of space in drive C have anything to do with slowing windows 7?

Losing 150 GB will almost certainly will slow down your machine. As suggested in the previous response, making sure you don't have any viruses or malware should be checked. Apart from that, one item that is overlooked when cleaning up a hard drive with little room left is the storage of restore points. Windows can chew up gobs of space with old restore points. You can adjust this by going using the Control Panel and running the System applet. In the left hand panel click on "Advanced System Settings" and then the "System Protection" on the ensuing window. Down near the bottom of this window is a "Configure" button. Click on it and the ensuing window toward the bottom shows the disk space usage for Restore Points. It gives you a value in terms of % of space reserved for Restore Points and a value (presumable GB). Note that you could increase it to 100%, but no one in their right mind will do that. You have the freedom to reduce or increase the space used. In your case a decrease seems in order. I don't know if there is a default value, but I suspect it's some percentage based on the size of your hard drive. Another tip is to use the free utility Ccleaner to clean up your drive. It is much more thorough than Windows Disk Cleanup. Good luck! Don P