Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Creating a Linux installer

Operating Systems

Old 30-03-2010

Creating a Linux installer

Hello,
I wonder how to create an installer for my small programs on Linux as a package .deb
I have few question for you
- If I install a program called something, how to ensure that when the user types something in console, the program (already installed) starts?

- What are the folders "conventional" Linux for storing programs installed? (Equivalent of Program Files wholesale)

- Is it better to build oneself and create a debian package, or make a makefile and let the user build oneself?

Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 30-03-2010

Re: Creating a Linux installer

Hello,
Some information on this

1) when it launches a command in a terminal (a call to a program), the shell will look in $ PATH to see if it finds it and throws it if it's found. Your program should find a file known by the environment variable $ PATH

2) I believe the equivalent is / usr / bin or / usr / local / bin. However, I think that / usr / bin contains programs that users can use basic and therefore it would be cleaner to put them in / usr / local / bin.

3) Everyone chooses how he wants to install the program and it will be very interesting to understand the system of "configure", and Makefile, as does creating a package .Deb.
Old 30-03-2010

Re: Creating a Linux launcher

Hello,
I'll say almost the same
1. For $ PATH:
Code:
echo $ PATH
You'll see all the records he will read to search for executable. But yes it is in the. Bash_profile and / or. Bashrc (in bash)

2. For Me I prefer to store a program for staff not to broadcast the program in ~ / bin which is often in the $ PATH. To avoid putting an executable file in your / usr which could be a problem at first.

3. I'm saying: make Makefile super clean because if it is clean at this point to the package file will be very easy. In addition, if the software is distributed with full user it is possible that someone will do so without bothering you to do.
Old 30-03-2010

Hello,
As already said, just that the program is in a folder listed in the variable PATH. This variable contains the default and minimum directories / bin and / usr / bin Often also / usr / local / bin, Plus other cases depending on system configuration.
There is no equivalent of Program Files because the way of "storing programs is completely different on Unix. The various components of a program are divided into several files as follows:
- $ Prefix / bin: or the executable (s) (this folder should be in PATH);
- $ Prefix / lib: libraries that depend on the program (sometimes $ prefix/lib64 on x86_64 systems);
- $ Prefix / share: resources (images, sounds, various data ...);
- $ Prefix / man (sometimes $ prefix / share / man): man pages;
- Etc..
The base of this tree, $ prefix is left to the discretion of the person who installs the program. The recommended default value of $ prefix is / usr / local.
Old 30-03-2010

Hello,
You can create a Debian package if you know them (and make correctly That is to say, following the recommendations of the Debian developers), but this is not your role. What you must do is provide a ready source package to compile, and allow developers of different load distributions of the pack by their rules. Of course, this means that your users will start to compile the software themselves, as long as developers distributions support it.
Old 30-03-2010

Hello,
It must be a bug report on the Debian site to ask his package to be packaged by the developers. (That said, I do not think demand ==> acceptance). No, it's best to store in the directories listed, under PREFIX as selected by the user. It can be / usr / localAs it may be / usr or / home / pmt / .local. For man pages, they must write with troff. It requires some learning.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,