Thread: Windows XP BSOD caused by KB978262

Windows XP BSOD caused by KB978262

I am running Windows XP in my home computer and I recently updated it from Microsoft.com. After completing all of my updates I was asked to restart it and so I followed the instruction but since then I am unable to restart my computer once again as before. It always stucks at the blue screen with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer."

I tried going to uninstall the updates but that doesn't solves the issue. I am stucked and need your guidance. As far as I know KB978262 was the last update that I have chosen to install (I did that manually), so do you think that KB978262 can result my Windows XP into BSOD?

Re: Windows XP BSOD caused by KB978262

The first and the easiest solution that comes to my mind is to perform System Restore. If you have System Restore feature enabled then restore your computer to a point prior to the installation of these updates. Or else login to safe mode and uninstall all the updates that you have installed recently. If you think KB978262 is the actual culprit then try to remove it by entering into the Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling that particular Windows Update. Hope this solves the problem.

Certainly that doesn't solves my problem. The simple reason being I can't reboot my computer and so I cannot login to Windows in Safe mode. Regarding System Restore, I tried that solution but that didn't solve my issue. KB978262 is not even visible in Add/Remove Programs and how can I uninstall it? Do you or anyone else have any solution?

Its not visible in Add/Remove Programs because there is a checkbox at the top of the Add/Remove Programs windows which is (by default) disabled. You have to manually select that checkbox to let Windows to display all of the updates. If any of the above methods doesn't solves your problem then I don't think there is any other solution to your problem other than formatting. I know that is harder but the only solution to such issues.

There is yet another solution to uninstall a particular update from your Windows computer. Here is it:

1. Reboot your computer from your Windows XP CD/DVD and start the recovery console. Once you are in the Repair Screen.

2. Enter this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB978262$\spuninst

3. Now, enter this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Once completed, enter this command: exit