Thread: How to run an application in 800x600 compatibility mode in Windows 7?

How to run an application in 800x600 compatibility mode in Windows 7?

I have just upgraded the operating system on my computer from Windows XP to Windows 7. After upgradation of the operating system, certain application which worked properly on Windows XP are not working on Windows 7. A friend of mine suggested me to run the application in compatibility mode but I dont know what is compatibility mode and how to enable the compatibility mode. So if anybody knows How to run an application in 800x600 compatibility mode in Windows 7 then please suggest the solutions.

Re: How to run an application in 800x600 compatibility mode in Windows 7?

All the Windows operating systems which are released after Windows Xp have builtin compatibility mode. Compatibility mode of the operating system helps the user to run the application which used to run in older versions of operating system in the latest operating system. To know how to use the compatibility mode in Windows 7, you can refer to Windows help by pressing F1 key on the keyboard. In the search box, type "Compatibility mode" and hit enter. Follow the steps suggested to enable the compatibility mode.

Dr. V Guest

It is very easy to run the application in compatibility mode in Windows 7. Go to the directory in which the application is installed. Highlight the executable file of the application and then right click on it. Select properties. Go to compatibility tab. Now check mark the option which says "Run this application in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP operating system. There is a special Resolution tab which will enable you to select the resolution in which the application has to be used. Select 800x600 resolution and apply the settings. See if the application works or not.

Thanks for replying to the thread. As suggested I enabled the Windows compatibility mode for the game which I was trying to play but the game is still not working. Whenever the game is started, it starts and then quit on its own. This happens everytime I start the game. Is there any other way in which the game can be run in Windows 7? Please suggest some solutions.

Windows 7 does not support all the games which are supported by Windows Xp operating system. If the game is not supported by the operating system then the game will either not run at all or will give some problems while running. The list of all the games which is supported by Windows 7 operating system can be found out at its official website. Check the list and see if the game which you are trying to play is supported by the operating system or not. If the game is not supported then there is nothing much you can do about it.

Some applications do not run in Windows 7 if they are not executed as Power user or as an administrator. To run the application as the power user or as an administrator, right click on the game icon and select properties. Go to compatibility mode and select the option which says "Run the application as Administrator". Save and apply the settings. Now see if the game is running properly or not. Hope the post helps.