Thread: after expanding windows 7 partition Boot errors

after expanding windows 7 partition Boot errors

I have recently installed Windows 7 by partitioning hard drive. I used GParted Live and compressed the windows xp partition and increased the Windows 7 partition and after that when I tried to boot from Windows 7 I got an error message of boot that told me to repair the OS from installation disk. But still after reparation I get a boot error so if anyone can help me out it would be great.
    If I post, it's because I have something to say, not just to up my board count.

Re: after expanding windows 7 partition Boot errors

I think that the partition ID might have being changed when you moved the starting sector of Windows 7 partition. That is the reason why Windows 7 is not booting up but with the repair installation it should. You will need to assign driver letters that got swapped in the Windows 7 registry. When you are reassigning drive letter the active partition (XP) gets first dibs on the letter C:, the first logical partition (if any) gets D:, etc, all will be good.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

First of all we need to know that how many partitions you have made on your disk? Which drive letter was the system partition, when Windows 7 was previously working on? In the Registry which drive letters did you find? Do you happen to know what were the Registry before you made the swap and what are they now? With Windows 7 system partition which ID is associated? You can obviously check the same by booting in windows xp and for the partition id check the windows xp regisrty.

Usually a drive letter to the boot partition is not assigned by the windows 7 installer like for ex: you windows xp parition id will be = n. In disk Management you can assign anyone if you would like to. Also in Windows 7 regisrty try to swap the drive letters from e: to f: they are normally backwards. Hope this will help you solve your problem.

You can also try to use the Windows Disk manager. To do so click on start ---> settings ---> control panel ---> Administartive tools ---> Computer management ---> Disk Management. But before doing this I would recommend you to make an image and to do so use a utility called Paragon, just google for it and you will get that. After installing Paragon always make image of any OS or partition so that if anything goes wrong you can again retrun to the start with the image.