Thread: Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024

Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024

Hi,

When I try to install windows 7 64 bit to disk 0 in the fourth partition on that disk, I get the following error message - "Windows can not install the selected location. Error: 0x80300024." when I select a new partition to install to, setup gives me the above error with no more details, anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Re: Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024

Error: 0x80300024 refers to disk partitions. Have you tried reformatting the disk and see if its useful. Please tellus more about where you got this error and how it burned. Try removing all disk partitions. I have done this, after deleting all partitions that made a 100mb system "reserved" partition and the rest of the primary "partition C".

I have installed windows xp just for a test, it installed correctly. With windows7 though when you come to the option where you need to select the drive to install to it shows that my hdd has unallocated space. the format icon is grayed out but when i go next it gives me the error. I removed the hdd to an external case,did full format, I have no partitions nothing,but still windows 7 installation does the same.

In some cases where the hard drive was not recognized, if not divided into first place. If you have more than one drive, I suggest you unplug the unit or at least make sure the win 7 is the first drive in the BIOS. At the bottom right of the window partition, there is a record button options. You can use that to put a partition on the disk if it works for you. This will allow a special partition win 7.

The only way to avoid the partition is use Diskpart. If you want go to partitions page, hit Shift+F10. This will open up a command window where you can use Diskpart to partition the drive. Hit return after all commands and wait for confirmation: Now, in the partition window, there is an update button must be used to refresh the window. Now try to install on that partition. Drive will be the format before installing.

It seems that there are some situations in Windows 7 does not recognize a drive. Some have been solved by adding a partition first. In some older systems, a BIOS upgrade is necessary for large units. When you install Windows 7 RC, a new a small partition will created. This partition exists as the boot partition of Windows 7 systems. As we know, we can create 4 partitions. Therefore, I recommend you to download one partition and try installing again.

I recommend you to try the below method while installing windows 7 64 bit :

1. Delete a partition, for example, drive D on disk 0.
    2. Start a new installation of Windows 7.
    3. While installing, do not select any partition, but select "Drive Options".
    4. Create a new partition with the unallocated space.
    5. Then Continue with the installation.

Guys, I'm just having a river crying my rage out of this error...first, have a 150GB HD full of important data, lets say college tesis and stuff which one day said HD took me by surprise, a HD that didn't give any error prior that day, then it won't load window 7 since some kind of sound like clack, guessing with that, the disk is dying on me with that data, so figured it could be usable as a slave, bought a new 250GB maxtor IDE today so I could try something out...oh my fcking day, in serious, better be dead than in this situation, now this error is starting to overtake me, what can I do.

While trying to install window 7 ult 64 on it, in the first run, window didn't pass further than loading screen where the window's flag appears, then figured it was the IDE cable that was a bit out of place, after assuring myself everything was in order (don't know if abruptly shutting down the pc can do any damage to the new HD) so after everything set, window would boot up to where gives the option "where do you want to install window" then it was giving me some kind of unable to install window message, proceed to format the disk in the Drive option, refreshed and made a partition and hit next so installing window 7, but then FREAKING forgot to make any extra partition, being so nervous at the moment, so decided to take out the W7 disc so the window wouldn't install, then re inserted and re started, but then this error appear, now it won't let me format, nor Extend, nor Delete but only gives me option for make a new partition which doesn't do ANYTHING, ..don't holy know one bit what to do about this and almost crying, fear and pressure are just, ok enough, need some air.

Any ideas, please, THANKS A LOT in advance.

Edit, someone advised me to create and use a 3rd party software bootable disc for create a partition, but then I only have a mini laptop which doesn't have any burner at all, but a flash drive, any idea of how to make the same thing with a flash drive? was doing my research with Gparted, but don't know how to use that thing, then partition wizard bootable...but the paid version is the one that gives option to create a boot-able flash drive...help.
    Last edited by klado; 11-07-2010 at 06:25 AM.

smile Re: Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024

this is indeed a nasty error. i was able to solve this by making sure that the drive i am installing windows 7 to is the ACTIVE/TOP drive in the boot sequence within BIOS settings.