Thread: Plugins location for Java on Debian Lenny

Plugins location for Java on Debian Lenny

I am getting little bit complexity on how the Web Browser detects the plugins for Java and Also, where the plug-ins would be available? Finally, what are the configuration,I have to made for the web browser to perform well with Java ?

I just installed the Java-6-openjdk. I haven't got any issues during the installation of all of java. I have looked on so, many places that I would require to create a symlink of the java path and put into /usr/local/bin for my web browser to detect those plugins,which place would be the vest for plugins and that can be detected by the browser.
    Last edited by Rastogi B; 25-03-2010 at 04:27 PM.

First thing is that where you locate the symlink is actually depends on in which manner you have configured your system and which one web browser you are using.

What you have to symlink to is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so. If you are working with the firefox you have to locate the link with this location :

/home/<username>/.mozilla/plugins and java will perform for that entitled user name.

However, There are so many distros have configured the default web browser to check in the defined directories for the compatible plugins links so you need not to create different links for each and every user.

It can be irrelevant with this situation but you can try to do this and here it goes.

I use such type of method to manage this type of situation. And it can perform specially when you are dealing with multiple instances of same program. It facilitates a easiest way of managing sym-links with the help of master-slave relations.

Code:
    man update-alternatives

There are two ways to install and implement the appropriate plugin for the browser to detect the java components.

You need to install the following plugins :

apt-get install openjdk-6-jre icedtea-gcjwebplugin

or use Sun's Java apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

Either way you shouldn't have to mess with creating the symlinks for java operation .

Dr. V Guest

It would not be supported with the Debian Lenny, Firefox, and manually . You need to download the newest Java plugin file.

https://jdk6.dev.java.net/plugin2/#INSTALLATION

For Unix Platforms
    (Solaris and Linux)

Locate the symlink on the location .../jre/lib/{i386,sparc}/libnpjp2.so into the Firefox 3 firefox/plugins directory or ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. Destry the previously created symlinks to the libjavaplugin_oji.so library.