Thread: My Documents folder access denied after Windows XP reinstall

My Documents folder access denied after Windows XP reinstall

I am having an issue with recently installed the Windows XP clean on my computer and the one of the folder of mine is not allowing me to open it. My Documents folder access denied after Windows XP reinstall. Path for the installed XP is C: drive and the My Document Folder is in the E: drive. I have made a new user account while installing the same and also allow the setting for "Make my User Folders, private'. So if any one have gone through this issue then help me please.

Re: My Documents folder access denied after Windows XP reinstall

For that you have to log on as the Administrator and then change the properties of the Folder that is giving you the error. Just right click on the Folder and go to the security tab and then allow the user for the folder to work on. Choose the user whom you want to give the permission to make changes and work on it.

My Document folder is itself is private folder and you have make the selection as private while installing XP. You should not have to do that. But if you. You can use the utility to make the changes and permission for retrieving the data from the folder which is known as the Raw Extractor. So download the same and work with the locked folder.

If you are having the issue with the folder in the Windows XP then you might not having the permission to for that folder so its better if you boot the system in safe mode and then log in as administrator. After log in through the Administrator account you are having the permission to make changes or move any folder in the same. So do the same and let me know whether it is working for you or not.

You can also use the Linux Live Cd which will allow you to make the changes in the file of the Windows XP. The Linux live CD will automatically make the NTFS drive. Which will allow you to access the Windows XP file and also move it to the other location. After installing the CD just copy the My Document Folder to some other location from where you can access the same.

This issue may occur if the folder that you cannot open was created on an NTFS file system volume by using a previous installation of Windows, and then installing Windows XP. This issue may occur although you enter the correct user name and password. This issue occurs because the security ID for the user has changed. Although you use the same user name and password, your security ID no longer matches the security ID of the owner of the folder that you cannot open.
    For example, although you use the same user name and password, you may no longer have permission to open the folder after you complete the following steps:

• Before you install Windows XP Professional, you change the actual location, or target location, of the My Documents folder to another volume.
    • You format the primary partition.
    • You install Windows XP Professional.

Source: Microsoft