Thread: Required disk space for ubuntu dual boot

Required disk space for ubuntu dual boot

Hello,
    I currently have windows vista, given the heaviness and fatigue, I would switch to dual-boot ubuntu vista. I have a dell XPS M1530, I have four primary partitions on my HDD. I want ubuntu installed on D: the problem occurs when formatting in extended partition. I'm tried with gparted but it does not offer me the option "view formatting". Do you have any solution for this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Required disk space for ubuntu dual boot

Hello,
    In fact you can not have more than 4 primary partitions on a disk. The solution is to create an extended partition instead of a primary, then this partition you can make as many logical partitions as you wish. I hope you got the point what i am trying to explain here. If you have any problem queries regarding this topic then do post back.

Hello,
    Even I am little confused while doing a dual boot for ubuntu and windows. Is precisely what I do with gparted, I delete the 10GB partition, then this new partition, I try to create an extended partition, but gparted does not propose this option. So it is impossible to create an extended partition of 10 GB. Is there any alternate solution for doing the same, i tried with the orthodox way but that does not work.

Hello,
    Otherwise clear after the partition of 10 GB during installation of ubuntu uses the option "install linux on the free disk space": it uses normally released from 10go to install linux. This may be the alternate solution which you are looking for , but I have not tried it personally, so I would not recommend you this, instead you can do it with the regular way.

Hello,
    When you delete your primary partition, you create a new and right on the first button, you are not the default partition option selected, you simply select view. And if you ever really had that option, try updating your gparted but this is my opinion dated the creation of gparted. I hope you are clear with the concept and will do the needful and install ubuntu with the windows operating system successfully.