Thread: Use rsync for backups

Use rsync for backups

Hello,
    I want to use rsync for backups, I would like to have your opinion on some points. I want to make a shell script (Perl) to run my rsync command, then run it in cron. Is it safe to do so as root? because it means setting the root password in the environment variables after what I read if you use the demon.If not, he must make the communication between servers without password for root (it's not dangerous) with the exchange of keys? Or should it create a user to backup all servers and use it to rsync? knowing that I'll save the config files. any help on this will help me, thanks in advance.

Re: backup tools for linux

Hello,
    I have an account just for that (in the root group by cons ). I use no password to rsync, for cons, I use SSH with a shared key, like that, no exchange of passwords, and the stream is secured in the end, I hope this will help you. For Windows machines, you're may be derivatives of rsync, but you can also use cygwin, I use this and it works well for me. Why a perl script? bash one would it be inappropriate?

Re: Use rsync for backups

Hey
    Even I want to use the rsync tool for backing up data, If I am not wrong, you've created a user backup for example on all your Linux servers belonging to the group root (with the same ID on each server?) And then you made a key exchange between your server for the user to avoid the password in ssh. Then, you make rsync with ssh. For windows, how do you do with cygwin, I never used. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello,
    How to juggle between rsync and tar? allows rsync to copy data optimized because only changed data since the last backup are transferred, Quick and tar can compress it to save disk space. I want to tar the directories I want to save, then the transferring with rsync. But in that case, rsync can not tell whether a file has been modified not? I guess I am correct here, if I am not going in the correct direction, then please guide me with the correct.

Hello,
    I think you should avoid using the tar files, Bash, it will be much simpler, you've got to put the line you would type shell. Also, I think that it is necessary that all users have the same id ... must try, you'll see. If you need any more help on this that is how to extract the tar file or any other topics related to this then you can
    Extract tar files in Linux

Hello,
    I use rsync to synchronize data between machines in production and spare machine, the command launched from the production machine is
    Code:
    rsync-e ssh-avz source_directory / source_directory - delete.
    I have the ssh key exchanged between the machine output and machine spare. This command is launched by root via cron. The advantage of using root is not having problems reading in some directories. And if you want to compress, you do it with tar after your rsync.