Thread: How to renew certificate in Windows Vista

How to renew certificate in Windows Vista

I am Windows Vista user. I need a urgent help from you all guys.From last couple of days i am getting message saying that a certificate has expired. Could you guys please help me out in renewing the certificate for my Vista operating system ? I dont know how to renew it. Please help

Re: How to renew certificate in Windows Vista

Its necessary to renew your certificate because it is to verify the identity of a person or device, authenticate a service, or encrypt files.To renew your Vista certificate, go through this steps:-
    • Go to Start and type certmgr.msc in the serch line and press Enter.
    • This will open Certificate Manager
    • Now click the certificate you want to renew.
    • Now on menu click Actions than click All Tasks and select one of the two:

• Click Renew Certificate with New Key.
      • Point to Advanced Operations, and then click Renew this certificate with the same key.
    • Follow wizard to complete renew process

Thats it..

Thanks for this useful info. I was really in search of something like this. I am also a Vista user but i need to request for a new certificate. Do you have any idea of doing that ?

Its similar to the renewing process. To request a new certificate, follow this:-

Start with typing certmgr.msc in the start search line of your vista.

Once opened Certificate Manager, click the Personal folder.

Now click the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then click Request New Certificate.

Now go through the rest of the steps in the wizard.

You are done !!

When I open actions all I get is "open /export".Nothing about renewal. Can anyone help?

To renew a certificate

• Open Certificate Manager by clicking the Start button , typing certmgr.msc into the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Click the certificate you want to renew.
    • Click the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then do one of the following:

• Click Renew Certificate with New Key.
      • Point to Advanced Operations, and then click Renew this certificate with the same key.

• Complete the wizard to renew the certificate.

Thanks for the information. Can anyone please tell me what is a signature certificate? And what is its use?

jesse, thanks for your reply. Let me give you a full description of my problem.
    I have a 2 yr. old laptop that I have been trying to upgrade Norton 360v3 to v4. Norton Engineering spent 2 days going through my PC trying to find out why the upgrade would not install. They finally came up with one of my certificates had expired.(MS Authenticode (tm) Root Authority, Valid 1/1/95 to 12/31/99) I've tried to renew it but when I get to the Actions menu it offers open or export. No option to renew. I can't get to the Renewal Wizard.
    If this certificate expired, how was I able to install Norton in the first place? Did Norton really find the problem?
    Thanks,Tom

How to renew certificate in Windows Vista

In this case, you should make a contact to the certification authority to request for the certificate and import it. If you are doing job for an enterprise that uses certificates for network surfing and the certificate is not by default renewed, you must receive a message that the certificate which you owned has been expired.