Thread: Encrypting files in Ubuntu

Encrypting files in Ubuntu

How to protect sensitive data in Ubuntu. I need some tips and trick to secure my file in a more better way. There are some important mail of mine which I save in a folder. Now to ensure that someone does not delete that how can I lock the same. Is there any tool for that. I want to install the latest version of Firefox on PC. Does this works fine. Because the older version usually crashed while surfing.

Re: Encrypting files in Ubuntu

Many programs allow you to encrypt files. Under GNU / Linux and thanks to OpenSSL, a simple command line, password, and that your valuable data safe from other users by using the Triple DES algorithm. Suppose you want to encrypt a file named image.jpg. You will use the following command - openssl des3 -salt -in image.jpg -out.

Here you most noted down that openSSL will ask you to enter a password. Do not forget, if you will never see again your file. This command will restore your file as it was originally - openssl des3 -d -salt -in file -out image.jpg -k password. Same old story, you must enter the password you specified when encrypting the file to complete the transaction and recover the famous file.

You can also use a third party application for the same. This is much easier then working on coding and commands. Like for example you can use Free Folder Hider. This software works nice on Linux and you can keep your file privates from other users. The files or folders locked by this software cannot be deleted neither can be changed. So that makes you files much safer.

The first thing to do is create a backup of your profile, because Firefox 3 will overwrite your existing profile. The following command will do it very well - cp ~/.mozilla/firefox/ ~/.mozilla/firefox-backup/. Then, visit the Mozilla site to download the version for your system. By this at least you will your bookmarks and settings safe and the same you can then restore back.

Once you download the browser. On Linux, extract the tar.bz2 archive, or with the tar command or with the extractor package. Then open the newly created Firefox folder and then double-click the icon and select Run.. There are minor improvements in the new browser. I particularly liked the star button to add to bookmarks with one click and the new download manager. Unfortunately, it seems that Firefox 3 has approximately 700 bugs and not all will be fixed for the final version.