Thread: How to use Alias command in Linux

How to use Alias command in Linux

Hi,
    To create some useful shortcuts of ready command line I want to use the alias command. But I had never used this before so I need some information on the same. How use this command and what are the drawbacks of the same. The other thing I need help regarding the shred command. Like I want to transfer my hard drive to some else then can I use the shred command to remove file. Under what conditions are they recoverable.

Re: How to use Alias command in Linux

An alias is a command defined by the user, which will call another command. His interest lies mainly in the possibility to use shortcuts for commands with many options that you use frequently. To use my previous example, the command shred it was necessary to delete a file by rewriting over 50 times and writing zeros before Suppress, enter the following command - shred -uvz -n 50.

Thanks to the aliases we will be able to reduce the number of characters to be entered to allow the execution of this command. To create an alias of the shred command with the-n UVZ-50, proceed as follows: alias del=shred shred -uvz -n 50. Here del is now an alias of the command shred with the options specified. ou can test the alias now and see the effect.

If you want to use an alias permanently, you must edit the file / etc / bash.bashrc and add your aliases to the end of the file. Otherwise, the alias that you defined live on the console disappear at the end of your session. Some examples of aliases, nstall a program then type command alias upd=apt-get install. Restart the network by alias rebootn=/etc/init.d/networking restart. To mounta drive alias cdrom=mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom.

Shred commands really destroy your files which are not recoverable. Indeed, it is easy to retrieve files that were deleted, via rm command. Simply because when you delete a file from your hard disk, it is rendered invisible by the system, which will rewrite over when he needs them. However, the file in question is still very much on the disc, and many specialized software will recover all or in part. The solution to protect themselves and ultimately, protect its sensitive content) exists in GNU / Linux through a simple command called shred.

Under GNU / Linux, a number of operations must be conducted in the command line. If some commands are easy to remember and type (cd, ls, etc.) is not always a generality. With aliases, it is possible to create custom commands that allow, among other things, reduce the number of characters to be entered to execute an action via the terminal.