Thread: Need help in Installing Ubuntu 8.04 on Toshiba l40-10O

Need help in Installing Ubuntu 8.04 on Toshiba l40-10O

Hi,
    I am trying to install Hardy Heron Ubuntu 8.04 on a old Toshiba laptop. The model number of the same is Toshiba l40-10O. First of all I this is the second time when I am trying to install this operating system. I had heard about lots of issues regarding Ubuntu compatibility on Toshiba l40-10O. The most common issue is sound and wi-fi not working. How to deal with this.

Re: Need help in Installing Ubuntu 8.04 on Toshiba l40-10O

That is right there is tons of Ubuntu issue on Toshiba l40-10O . I will recommend you get a complete guide to installing Ubuntu on Toshiba l40-10O, especially on issues that were problematic: Sound and Wi Fi. This will help you to go through the entire process. Nothing special to report regarding the installation of the system. The system will ask for your language, your location, a user-name and password. Nothing more, everything is fully automated. Good news, Ubuntu installs very quickly, count between 15 and 20 minutes on the Toshiba l40-10O.

Remember to connect an Ethernet cable (even if you want to install the wifi) during installation. Thus, Ubuntu will configure only one Ethernet connection to be functional without your intervention. This step is important to me for future operations, and particularly the installation of wifi, since we need to install packages to run it properly. Once the system is launched, we see that the trackpad is not recognized by the previous Ubuntu version is fully functional.

In my case when I was trying to install Hardy Heron the sound was not working. This is the most common issue on Toshiba l40-10O. There was not sound when the system was installed. This problem is very simple to solve. We have to edit the alsa-base. Open the terminal and type - sudo vi / etc / modprobe.d / alsa-base. Type G to put you at the end of the file, and add - options snd-hda-intel model = 3stack. Then restart the machine and the sound should work.

Wifi configuration is quiet a bit hard here. As often and because of lack of interest from manufacturers for GNU / Linux, the wifi is not working on Toshiba l40-10O once installed Ubuntu. Fortunately, I offer the driver and instructions to make your wireless operations work. You can put a wget in the home directory to make the wi-fi work. For that first you will have to get the driver downloaded on your system, and then install it.

To unpack the archive type - tar xvf driver-Fi-toshibaL40-10O.tar.gz. No you need install ndiswrapper, which will allow us to run a windows driver for GNU / Linux - sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname-r` build-essential ndiswrapper-utils-1.9. It stops the activity network to install the driver - sudo / etc / init.d / networking stop & sudo rmmod ath_pci. Then to publishes the modprobe.d file - sudo vi / etc / modprobe.d / blacklist. Place yourself at the end of this file and add - blacklist ath_pci . Now you are reading to insatll the driver using ndiswrapper - cd ~ / driver & sudo ndiswrapper-i net5211.inf. To verify the same - sudo ndiswrapper-l. Ndiswrapper you should answer this if you have any error - net5211: driver installed or device (168C: 001C) present (alternate driver: ath_pci). Then you can create the module - sudo ndiswrapper-m & sudo modprobe ndiswrapper. Do not forget to specify that ndiswrapper should be loaded at startup. To do this, edit the etc / modules - vi / etc / modules. And add to end of file - ndiswrapper . Now you can starte the newtork - sudo / etc / init.d / networking start. Reboot your system.