Thread: Know when to format and reinstall the operating system

Know when to format and reinstall the operating system

I am currently using Windows XP Service Pack 2 and I want to switch to Windows 7 operating system. Will I have to do an upgradation or clean install of the same? Many a times the computer becomes slow due to various reasons like low performance, system becomes infected and so on. So, in such cases, when I will be using Windows 7, I want some information that how to know when to format and reinstall the operating system? All possible replies and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Know when to format and reinstall the operating system

First of all, I want to make you aware that you cannot do an upgradation to Windows 7 from Windows XP. An upgradation is only available from Windows Vista. So, ultimately, you will have to do a clean install of Windows 7. I also suggest that you must never format and reinstall the operating system because there are many other alternatives available to get rid of the existing issues in any OS.

Dr. V Guest

There will never exist a need to format and reinstall the operating system. The main point that you must be aware is that you should not switch to Windows 7 by keeping the system and performance of Windows 7 in mind. It is way much better and faster than Windows XP as well as Windows Vista. I am using the same operating system and have enjoyed a lot with the same. Have a look at the following thread, so that you will get some more information about Windows 7:
    Windows 7 with 12 new features

The necessity to format and reinstall the operating system will be in extreme cases of virus and malware infection. But, you can keep your system protected with the help of a very good and up-to-date antivirus software like AVG. This is a recommended antivirus that has been suggested by the experts to remove all kinds of infections that includes trojans, virus and worms too.

Even if the performance of the operating system becomes low, there will be no need to format and reinstall the same. This is because there are many softwares available in the market that help to optimize the performance of the operating system. Some of them that I suggest are as follows:
    1. Registry Mechanic: To remove the errors and problems from the Registry.
    2. SpeedUp MY PC: To remove the junk files from the computer.
    3. TuneUP Utilities: For overall optimization performance, that also includes defragmentation of the disks.

The case of format and reinstall the operating system must not occur in any extreme situations too. This is because an alternative to formatting is enabling the system restore. This method actually eradicates all the data and information in the system along with the installed softwares and other components. Thus, this technique will keep the operating system and it is way too better than formatting.