Thread: Virtualbox ubuntu screen resolution

Virtualbox ubuntu screen resolution

I am having a complexity during adjustment of my screen resolution.

I have a Gateway Laptop, Vista Home Premium, VirtualBox 1.5.2, Ubuntu 7.1.I installed Ubuntu on my computer using Virtualbox. Just about everything is working correctly, except the video display. It only wants to run at 800x600. I was able to edit the xorg.conf file and add 1024x768 and 1280x800 resolutions. When I change the resolution the screen gets all garbled. I click on cancel and the screen comes back to 800x600.

I can provide more info if you need it.

I have experienced with the same issue. The above solutions can help you.

1. First of all,be sure your are running with the installation of guest additions.
    2. To find out what resolutions your screen is compatible,come on to your host machine and go to “Preferences” and then “Screen Resolution”.
    3. Generate a snapshot of your virtual machine,Using this method, you can always revert back to a stable machine.

4. Type the following in the terminal :

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    5. Now,you require to hunt via the text until you interact with the display resolutions listed.
    6. After that, just replace the previous resolution settings or add new listed resolution in the same way. The resolution must be equal to or less than the host machine has been configured.
    7. Reboot the guest machine.Now you will get what you need.

I was also suffering with the same issue, but I feel,I was lucky. I have a HP w1907 monitor that was not listed in the compatible monitors. I confirmed on an best resolution, and after half and hour of trying out monitor configuration at random I adjusted a 1440 by 900 desktop by configuring HP D1187A 20-inch display and testing the 'Widescreen Monitor' box.

Now,I installed the opera and my opera Browser seems rather interactive, and my environment of surfing internet is altogether much better than Vista.

Dr. V Guest

I have the same problems but I spend a bit of time to resolve this.Just finding it to go to 1024x768 and when I replaces the resolution environment using the method TravisFix outlined it would be all messed up. I applied to to add more video memory to the machine but that not getting succeed during that.

So I decided to fix it and I had to change the bit depth listed from 24 to 16 and got back my screen what I requires to set.

it is just a little bit of my experience with my friends getting Ubuntu (Hardy) running under Virtualbox running under a Ubuntu (Gutsy) host.

1) Backup the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    2) To Boot under Hardy,I used the VirtualBox menu Devices=>Install Guest Additions,which mounts the CD to the Hardy desktop. You need not to open that and double click on the created Linux script. The administrator is authorized to install it. Open the terminal and change directory to /media/cdrom

3) Type into the terminal :

Code:
    sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    This will create the kernel modules for the video driver.

4) Restart the guest OS.
    5) During the rebooting of Hardy, go to Ubuntu menu
    System=>Administration=>Screens and Graphics.

Inside the Graphics Card tab,it should now locate vboxvideo . Inside the Screen tab just changed the Model of my monitor to Generic->Monitor 1600x1200.