Thread: Packages required for server installation

Packages required for server installation

Hello,
    I have my workstation and my server works in combination on Suse Professional 9.2, because I find the version 10.x too heavy in terms of material resources, to me, Debian is satisfied. What are the must required packages for a server operating system to have. Please help me with this, also if you know any new packages that is any other software useful for a server operating system, then let me know about the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: Packages required for server installation

Hello,
    I think you have done this
    Code:
    / troll mode on
    for debian, it's perfect
    Code:
    / troll mode off
    more seriously debian includes the famous dpkg which allows you to easily reconfigure packages or install (. deb (equivalent to rpm better ). apt is very effective and easy to install search software (apt-get install gaim or apt-cache search php5 example ).

Hello,
    I think the above posted is correct and I agree with this, would like to add more to it, there are debian packages and etch (stable, testing, unstable). I advise the testing then etch which includes many more packages than stable. During installation you will not encounter any problems. If you need more help on this topic then please post back with your query and then we will try to solve it.

Re: debian server installation

Hello,
    You have no more problem with debian with another distribution. Just that at the end of the installation you may be in console mode then install the graphics server. I suggest you use aptitude instead of apt (and dpkg) to manage your packages. He will propose solution in some cases conflict and manage the same dependence mode suppression package (package B deletion whether deletion of package A, B depending on A and B are no longer needed for any package)

Hello,
    Otherwise the hardware level all distributions are equal for use of Linux kernel.
    Application level you have three choices:
    - Debian stable (sarge) but less stable package applications and not so recent, but stable (especially for server)!
    - Debian testing (etch): more package and still pretty stable (actually as stable as other Linux distributions or even more)
    - Debian unstable (sid): regular update packages may therefore be less stable

Hello,
    The 2 DVDs contain memory packages than 7CD. Indeed, the list of Package is not a function of the medium but the version of debian (unstable, testing and stable). By cons, if you have DSL, I advise a installations via the network. The CD contains just the installation tool and the base system. Everything else will be downloaded directly via the Internet.