Thread: Unable to empty trash

Unable to empty trash

Hello to all,
    I am having this problem from last week. I unable to empty trash in my Mac. I have Macbook pro which is 6 months old. When I tried to empty my trash, nothing happens. I don't know why this is happened. Anyone else having the same problem. Please help me to fix this problem.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by MKAIF; 18-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Re: Unable to empty trash

From your information it seems that you are using Super Empty Trash which has admin privileges to delete all files and that's why you are getting such type of problem. To fix this problem you have to use these admin privileges to delete all data from the trash. Without proper and right admin privileges you can not delete anything from your computer. In this case you have to use write username and password to login as administrator and then try to delete that trash.

I think you have lost Administrator privileges and that's why you are not able to empty trash. In this case you have to use following steps to fix this problem.
    First turn off your computer -> Now turn on your computer and Immediately press Command key and the "s" key to go to into single-user mode -> Now just type "mount -uw /" and then press return button -> Now type "passwd" and then press return -> Now enter new password and click on return button -> Now enter "reboot" and press return -> Now press Account settings (IF it asked for administrator account and password, then use what you have just set).
    Now you are become admin again. Now you can delete all files from trash.

I think you have use wrong methods to empty your trash and that's why you are getting such type of problem. You have to use following two methods to do this.
    1. First you have to use The Apple Document, which you will find in the help option.
    2. Second you have to use Terminal method.

If there are several locked files in the Trash, you can unlock them all at the same time at the command line. To do this you have to use following steps:

1. Open Terminal. It's located in /Applications/Utilities.

Type: chflags -R nouchg

2. Double-click the Trash icon in the Dock to reveal the contents of the Trash. If necessary, arrange the Finder window so that a portion of the Terminal window is still visible.
    3. Press the Command-A key combination to select all files in the Trash.
    4. Drag the files from the Trash to the Terminal window.
    5. Press Return. No special text message will be shown indicating that the command was successful.
    6. Empty the Trash.

If you can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash.
    For example, this message might appear when you try to empty the Trash: "The operation could not be completed because the item '(item name)' is locked."
    First, try holding the Option key as you choose Empty Trash from the Finder's File menu.
    After this if you still have the same problem then it means that your files are locked. If files are locked, unlock them before deleting.