Thread: How to determine parititions in Linux installation

How to determine parititions in Linux installation

Hi,
    Before beginning the installation of a Linux based operating system I want to know some tips about working with partition at the time of setup. What happened here that I am bit confused with the old partition status mention on the setup windows. I have already other operating system running on the computer. So I does not want to loose my data for the same.

Dr. V Guest

Re: How to determine parititions in Linux installation

Normally, the files on your computer and data are stored on a hard drive. It is possible to divide a hard disk partitions, so that each partition can use to store different kinds of data. If you plan to run more than one operating system, then each system operation must have its own partition in which to store its files. This is not the same for your data (i.e. documents, images etc.). Your files can be stored on the same score than any operating system running on your computer, even on another partition where no operating system is installed.

Under Windows, the partitions are assigned a letter (eg C: or D. Under Linux, disk drives and scores are awarded device files. Under Linux, your first hard drive is called / dev / sda , the second / dev / sdb, etc.. The scores of these Hard disks are identified by number, eg / dev/sda1 is the first partition on the first disk drive. So select D defining partitions manually and click Next. To install Linux Mint, you must create at least two partitions: one type SWAP (trade), and

If existing partitions on your hard disk take any space and you can not create new partitions, you can Edit and change the partition size. The swap partition (swap) is used by Linux to share data on the hard drive when your RAM (RAM) is not enough to keep in memory all running applications. The size of your swap partition should be at least twice that of your RAM. Although it is not strictly necessary to create a swap partition, this is recommended unless there are very good reasons not to do, especially if the computer in question has less than 1Gb of RAM.

If existing partitions on your hard disk take any space and you can not create new partitions, you can Edit and change the partition size. The swap partition (swap) is used by Linux to share data on the hard drive when your RAM (RAM) is not enough to keep in memory all running applications. The size of your swap partition should be at least twice that of your RAM. Although it is not strictly necessary to create a swap partition, this is recommended unless there are very good reasons not to do, especially if the computer in question has less than 1Gb of RAM.

When you create the partition for Linux Mint, be sure to allocate 10 GB or more disk space (it should come in 3GB, but you'll probably want to add software Additional thereafter and needs rapidly exceed 5 GB). Also be sure to assign / To the mount point and select ext4 as file system. Once all partitions are in place, you can select the mount point for each of them. Mount points correspond to their location in the file system (visible as files in File Explorer) where these partitions are visible in Linux Mint.

By default, a partition uses / (root) as the mount point, while the other partitions usually use / media / followed by their name. Be sure to check the Format for the Linux partition, but not for partition that contains (NENT) your (os) (if other system of operation. When you are ready (e), click Next. This was the only step really complex this facility, and you should find the following rather simple and straightforward. If you get warning messages about cluster sizes, ignore them.