Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Trouble Joining New Domain Controller to existing Domain in VMWare

Operating Systems

Old 12-03-2010

Trouble Joining New Domain Controller to existing Domain in VMWare

Hi All,

For educational purposes I am attempting to set up 2 DC's on one domain.
I have successfully set up the first DC but when tryiing to add a second to the forest I am receiving this error:

I have Server 2008 installed on both machine and am using VMWARE workstation 7.0

Ip config for proposed DC's is below

DC1 =

DC2 =

I thought something may be set up incorrectly as upon enterring my static IP settings on both Domain Controllers the error below is displayed:

I am working via a wireless home router. Please let me know if more information is required

Have I possibly set the virtual machines up incorrectly on VMWare?
Thanks

Old 12-03-2010

Re: Trouble Joining New Domain Controller to existing Domain in VMWare

Hello there, for the solution of trouble Joining New Domain Controller to existing Domain in VMWare, just make sure that you have gone through the following threads:
  1. Running Domain controller on Vmware
  2. http://forums.techarena.in/server-migration/1136591.htm
Old 18-05-2011

Re: Trouble Joining New Domain Controller to existing Domain in VMWare

ok so what you want to do is set your Static IP addresses of your domain controllers on 2 different networks.. such as 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.101.1 and subnets of 255.255.255.0 for both of them.. then once that is set.. leave default gateway blank and leave DNS and alternate dns ip spaces blank also..(( this will later auto change to 127.0.0.1 aka local loopback address)) then once that is set.. go into your VMware settings and make sure your virtual network card is set to bridged and replicate.. next step is to make a second virtual network card (nic) and set this one to NAT (network address translation).. then activate them both.. leave this 2nd one to DHCP as it is made that way.. then restart both domain controllers.. after the 192 addresses and wait for full restart.. and you now have inter connect connectivity with the router ip range of 192.168.254.* DHCP and your domain controllers will speak to each other cuz they are on different networks

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,