Thread: Windows XP not working properly

Windows XP not working properly

i'm having a compaq laptop(old) (confg:256mb ram 40gb hdd n pentium4 processsor) but everthing was fine whensuddenly i was facing few problems
    i. my optical drive ain't working.
    ii. when i boot every startup programs opens in notepad on startup
    iii. when i double click any program it opens in notepad
    iv. gpedit n registry is disabled
    v. to start progs with admin right i've to give password which i don't know(cause there's no password)
    vi. i have to open any progs by right click<run as< then unselect protect my system...<ok
    i have tried antivirus it shows some memory virus i've corrected many things in safe mode enabled registry n gpedit but when i reboot again in normal mode problem exists my motherboard doesn't support usb boot but i tried n whenever i click install xp it opens in notepad , no other options since right click won't work there if u cn help me then plz

Re: Windows XP not working properly

This can be due to virus issue due to which your system is responding unexpectedly. Here open msconfig and then go in the start up. Uncheck if you find notepad app there. Then restart your pc in safe mode and click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Choose restore to old date and from that calender choose the older date. Give next your pc will reboot.
    To stop the notepad pop up at windows startup

Quote Originally Posted by amarsankalp View Post
    i'm having a compaq laptop(old) (confg:256mb ram 40gb hdd n pentium4 processsor) but everthing was fine whensuddenly i was facing few problems
    i. my optical drive ain't working.
    ii. when i boot every startup programs opens in notepad on startup
    iii. when i double click any program it opens in notepad
    iv. gpedit n registry is disabled
    v. to start progs with admin right i've to give password which i don't know(cause there's no password)
    vi. i have to open any progs by right click<run as< then unselect protect my system...<ok
    i have tried antivirus it shows some memory virus i've corrected many things in safe mode enabled registry n gpedit but when i reboot again in normal mode problem exists my motherboard doesn't support usb boot but i tried n whenever i click install xp it opens in notepad , no other options since right click won't work there if u cn help me then plz
    Why don't you try a registry cleaner? and are you able to go into Start-up Menu right click on properties and put the appearance back to XP from Classic? Boot to Safe Mode again and do a System Restore to a few days ago.

i forgot to tell u that system restore is not going to work cause all restore dates r been wiped out, any prog from which i cn access startup is not working, not even msconfig

sys restore has been turned off by gpedit n it's disabled

Windows XP not working properly

In that case i think you have to format your system and install a fresh copy of Windows XP, one of my friend was also facing similar type of issue and he had done lots of things but none of them worked out for him and after formatting your laptop make sure you install latest version of anti virus and regularly update it. You can find more solution by referring below links

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...ort/234386.htm
    Run, cmd not working