Thread: Do we need two hard disk for installing two operating systems

Do we need two hard disk for installing two operating systems

I am having the desktop computer system which has the Windows XP operating system installed in it. I want to install another operating system in this computer system. I want to install Linux based Ubuntu operating system. I am here to know that, do we need two Hard disk for installing two operating systems or we can install it on the same hard drive. I am waiting for the response.

Re: Do we need two hard disk for installing two operating systems

You are having the Windows XP operating system in the desktop computer system and you want to install another operating system Ubuntu which is based on the Linux platform. You want to know that for installing two different operating systems in the system, two HDD required or not. So first of all it is not necessary to have two different HDD for installing two different operating systems.

You can install two different operating systems on the same hard disk of your computer system provided that they are installed on the different partitions of the same hard drive. You cannot install two operating systems on the same partition of the hard drives. So create the another partition on the hard drive if you are not having more than one partition. After that install the Ubuntu operating system on other partition of the hard drive.

Dr. V Guest

I will advice you to use two different hard drives for installing Windows XP and the Linux based Ubuntu operating systems in your desktop computer system. I have read this in the article about using two HDD for two Different operating systems. Because it is possible that the disk partition can be failed on the single HDD, so it is better to use the separate HDD.

One more thing is very important which should be kept in mind before dual booting the desktop computer system. The Read and write speed of the hard disk of the computer system. If you will use same hard drive for both the operating system then data can be read faster from the outside than the inside. Which indicates that the operating system on the first partition of the hard drive will run faster as compared to the operating system on the second partition of the hard drive. So according to me you should use two different HDD.

However you can go for the installing the both operating system on the same hard drive using the different partitions if you dont want to spend money on the new hard drive. Its fine if you will install both Windows XP and the Ubuntu operating system on the same hard drive of your computer system. The difference is only that the second OS will run little bit slower as compared to the first one.