Thread: Import AVI into iMovie

Import AVI into iMovie

Hello,

These are large files, 2 of 700 MB and 1 80 MB, iMovie 08 refuses any import of these files ,grayed out - indeed, important files which iMovie 08? about iMovie HD, the process is very long about 120 minutes per file, just to add in the "Clips". Is there a shareware / freeware to perform such operations easily? Or how to do this simply in iLife? I am in Leopard, iMac 24 Core2Duo 2.16 / 1 GB of RAM, with the latest versions of Perian (1.0), Flip4Mac, and all updates in place.

Thank you very much in advance

Re: Import AVI into iMovie

This is certainly the MPEG-4 to be converted to DV for iMovie to import the clips. But MPEG_4 is terribly heavy to compress and decompress, finally in my experience. iMovie can not handle AVI files. We must therefore convert to DV or MP4 with software like FfmpegX.

I converted the wmv in short sequences .Mov with Quicktime pro/Flip4 in order to import them into imovie (ilife08) (to make an entire movie to burn to DVD / lounge). Well it does not import them, it is grayed out, why? What can import imovie08?

With regard to iMovie08 It can import MPEG-2, MPEG-4, from DV, HDV and AVCHD the end.

The fact that it does not create a file with QuickTime video is quite strange, but it would be faster to directly transcode to DV is the format that iMovie will handle the video clips in the project. If you go to a ride in an iMovie project, you will not find that video files in DV format, iMovie when importing transcode absolutely everything in DV. For proof, just read the size of an iMovie project that resulted in approximately 20 gigabytes per hour of video.

Video files .MOV is only in containers which may have to use multiple compression formats for image and sound. The .MOV is not attached to a video format or specific. When Quicktime should play a .MOV, it first reads the information on video formats and then used it chooses the correct codecs for playback of the file. Finally this is how I understand things, but I'm not sure.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"