Thread: Access linux from windows

Access linux from windows

Hi

I wanted to ask if anyone know of a program that allows access from Windows to Linux and how to get it.

I heard about the x-win, but I do not know how to get it or like it should install all this software.

thanks in advance.

Re: Access linux from windows

When you're in windows, the only thing I can think of to access linux, is to create a virtual machine such as HD using the virtual machine to another partition with linux.

with vmware, virtual machines can also do this.

What you say is not feasible. Perhaps with "x-win" you have spoken Window System x-window-system operating system GNU. But what is not possible to have two operating systems running at once. It is totally logical. What we can do is simulate a virtual machine like VMware Workstation software that let you simulate machines, which you can install the operating system you want, but this would already be running VMware under the primary operating system, ie would be like having an operating system loaded on another.

You can "mount" a partition Ext2, Ext3 and ReiserFS in windows.

For Ext2 and Ext3

explore2fs: A small, simple and easy-to-useGUI explorer tool for accessing ext2 and ext3 filesystems.

For ReiserFS

visualrfstool: Little Windows file manager for reading and copy files/dir from reiserfs partitions to windows partitions

More simple, you create a FAT32 partition and you can access from both operating systems, for example, to configure the emule and download regardless of operating system you use guino.

You can also implement the Virtual PC. you install it on pc, launch and allow you to settle any operating system and load it in a window (like when you remote desktop) without restarting the PC each time you want to change.

The X-Win32 is an X Terminal client (graphic) Remote for Windows, developed by Starnet Communications. I use it often, but it is to connect to another machine to allow remote connection, not your own PC!

I use the machines to access uni Solaris and GNU / Linux, but is compatible with many UNIX platforms.