Thread: Unable to do system refresh in Windows 8.1

Unable to do system refresh in Windows 8.1

I upgraded my existing Windows 8 system to 8.1 Preview about 3 weeks ago. So far it was working great without any problem. But recently i installed about 10 to 15 applications from torrent that seems like have damaged my system. PC has became too slow and few of them applications are not even un-installable. Hence i decided to do reformat the entire partition and re-install Windows but one of my friend suggested that it will install back to Win 8 and i will need to download again Windows 8.1.

He suggested me to better perform System Refresh. Well i tried doing the same but everytime refresh fails with an error message saying "There was a problem refreshing your PC. If you have a windows installation or recovery media insert it and restart the PC from the media".

Any idea how can i fix this error? Please help soon.

Re: Unable to do system refresh in Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
    Hence i decided to do reformat the entire partition and re-install Windows but one of my friend suggested that it will install back to Win 8 and i will need to download again Windows 8.1.
    I dont know if you will format the entire drive/partition, how it will install windows 8 because this feature works only if you have windows 8 and if you format the partition there wont be windows 8, neither it will install any operating system automatically until you go through the manual installation process using your installation DVD.

Now coming to your actual problem, can you just tell me how exactly did you upgraded to 8.1 Preview? Did you downloaded it from Windows Store or burned its ISO to DVD or USB Drive?

Oopss, sorry I don’t know how does it works buy you have a point. Anyways, I downloaded it directly from the Windows Store which overwritten my existing Windows 8.

Any working solution please?

If you have upgraded it from the store then obviously you wont be having the DVD for 8.1 Preview, do you have Windows 8 installation disk? If yes, then insert the same and restart the computer.

On restart make sure you select the settings to Boot from CD. When you see the Windows 8 setup window, click Next on the first screen and then select Repair Window. On next window you will see few options, one of them will be named as “Troubleshoot”.

Click Troubleshoot and next select Advanced Options. Here you will find and option called “Automatic Repair”. Click the same and let the windows do its work. It will fix whatever the problem is with system files. Once done and rebooted, try to perform System Refresh. It should work fine.

Thank you very much for the help Deep. I did the Automatic Repair, went fine, but still when I try doing System Refresh, it wont work. Still gives me the same error message.

Hello Bryant, here are few things I can suggest you. First of all try restoring the system to few days back using System Restore which can be found at Settings > Recovery > Open System Restore. If this doesn’t helps, then go with the next one mentioned below.

Are you able to perform “Remove everything and reinstall Windows” from the same place from where you are doing System Refresh? If yes, do the same. Though it will bring you back to Windows 8 but at least the problem will be solved.

If that also doesn’t works, then the best thing I can suggest you is back up all your important data, download the Windows 8.1 ISO file from here, burn it DVD and do a clean install.