Thread: Select a first boot device at Startup

Select a first boot device at Startup

Hello everyone, Here is my problem:

Each boot pc, a menu "Boot Menu" appears asking "Select a boot first device" and then choose what to boot. The list consists of: floopy, LS120, + hard disk, cd rom, etc. ....

I choose to boot on hard disk, I have to select the disk on which to start. Then windows starts. I tried everything: unplug one of my dd, change their position on the sata ports, do a CMOS clear, change my boot sequence in bios, plug that let the system disk, reformat, try with 2 different OS and still same!

My config:
    Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H
    Core 2 Duo eE660
    2 x 1 gb Corsair pc 6400
    System Disk SATA 500 GB with 40 GB partition for OS
    1 TB SATA disk for data
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm lost and frustrated, thank you for your help!

Re: Select a first boot device at Startup

Next start your machine, you tap the <Del> then using the key Arrow you select "Advanced BIOS Features" & valid by <Enter>.

In the new screen that appears, you highlighted & disabled "Hard Disk Boot Priority". Then you put in "First boot" using the arrows either "up" or "down" .

When done, you press the key <F10>, and press <Y> valid choice for Yes. Then, the machine will restart on the correct disk.

Quote Originally Posted by darshit View Post
    Next start your machine, you tap the <Del> then using the key Arrow you select "Advanced BIOS Features" & valid by <Enter>.

In the new screen that appears, you highlighted & disabled "Hard Disk Boot Priority". Then you put in "First boot" using the arrows either "up" or "down" .

When done, you press the key <F10>, and press <Y> valid choice for Yes. Then, the machine will restart on the correct disk.
    Hello and thank you,

that is what I do first: go into the bios and change my boot sequence. It changes nothing ...

Still boot menu appears on every startup.

Any more ideas?

Are you absolutely sure you have validated your final choice by F10?

Otherwise, look for the "Load Setup Default" option into your bios, i don't remember the excat path to it, but every bios have this option and by using it you load the default settings and see if it makes any difference on next startup.

Set HDD as default boot device

Do as follow to set HDD as default boot device:
    • Press DEL key to enter setup
    • Choose the BOOT option and choose Boot Device Priority and choose first boot device to HDD, disable the second and third boot device.
    • Now go to Exit and choose the Save and Exit option.

Refer to following tutorial which explains in detail how to change the boot order of your PC from the BIOS:

How to change the boot sequence in Bios

Hope this will help.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

markom_rolen Guest

Hi often your computer may fail to boot from the hard drive due to logical system corruption or hard disk failure. Commonly you may want to boot from other data media such a CD or floppy disk in order to perform some system rescue. To boot up from a different boot up media, you just need to configure your BIOS to change the boot sequence.
    The boot sequence is a functionality located in most of the modern pc BIOS that tells your computer the sequence of devices to look for as the booting device (must have the necessary operating system) each time you power up your computer.
    • Restart your computer
    • Hit DEL or any key that prompts to enter the BIOS
    The following message is usually displayed when you power up your computer:
    Press <this key> to enter Setup. <This key> is normally [Del], [ESC] or any other keys depending on the BIOS that comes with the computer.
    • In the BIOS menu, look for Boot Sequence
    • Select your required boot device to be the first boot device
    For example if you want to boot from the floppy disk, select floppy drive to be the first boot device. Likewise, if you want to boot up from a Windows CD, select CD-ROM to be the first boot device instead.
    • Save and exit the BIOS
    • Insert the boot floppy disk or Windows CD into your computer
    • Restart the computer. The computer should now be booting up from your required data media.

Thanks!!!
    markom_rolen

i can't solve this error Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. I have checked all that you suggest us to do like I have check ID cable, cmos battery, also i try to formatted my hard drive but while trying to install the xp it seem there is no hard drive in the option.
    do any more information for me to solve this problem. How do I check my hard drive is working or not. .......... please help me...