Thread: Bootcamp on external drive

Bootcamp on external drive

Hello to you all

Well I think I've already seen this kind of question on the forum, but obviously I can not find...The question: Is it possible to install windows via bootcamp on an external hard drive (usb)?

Do you know where I can find a tutorial on this type of experiment?

Thank you

Re: Bootcamp on external drive

Installing Windows (XP anyway) is permitted by license only on internal HDD. So the installer will not propose the installation on external drive. There is a patch installer to recognize external hard drives (and it is also possible to activate the internal disk for installation) but it is usually enoug to boot Windows then. In addition, the BIOS emulator for Intel Macs do not always start on an external drive.

When I installed on my mini, the installer XP recognized the USB key that I plugged in, so it may be possible to actually install on an external drive, but you will still need to allocate a partition in Bootcamp with a minimum of 5 GB. I must stress that I have not tried to install an external drive, so I do not know if it works or not

Booting Windows from the external drive

You can also boot from OS external drives directly. Booting Windows from the external drive is not difficult, but linux and mac can be booted from external drives easily.

As far as i know Bootcamp does not offer external drives as an option when choosing which disk to install Windows on.

Bootcamp works fine from an external, but can not be installed this way. You must install the internal drive as normal, but can then use Winclone to transfer to an outside agency. I used Disk Utility to set up partitions on external Winclone then used to transfer to external drives. I left pristene internal drive, and use the external experience. I can always just blow away and the clean copy Winclone finished. Windows itself does not seem to care.

BootCamp only supports the startup disk, or in the case of the MacPro, another internal drive. To my knowledge, no case an external drive. The live CD of Linux are supported. Regarding Windows Vista, you can not install a SCSI drive, eSATA or USB. Only IDE and SATA are allowed. I did not test with Windows XP.