Thread: Snow Leopard: Changing partition size

Snow Leopard: Changing partition size

Hello

With disk utility can I change the partition sizes (the collapse) to reclaim the space for another partition?

Second question: for bootcamp, if I delete the partition, Mac OS retrieves all the space In this case: increased size possible?

ehsan Guest

Re: Snow Leopard: Changing partition size

Hi,

I'm not mac user, but i have little info about it, as If you create another partition to install another OS you will not lose the 1st partition unless you make a wrong manip but if on your 1st partition you have Windows XP you can not install another OS.

For your partition you can use partition magic or Acronis partition manager (I'm not sure if they available for mac or not).you will find a function resize (resize) you have just said the new size of your partition.

partition manager for mac

Quote Originally Posted by ehsan View Post
    Hi,

I'm not mac user, but i have little info about it, as If you create another partition to install another OS you will not lose the 1st partition unless you make a wrong manip but if on your 1st partition you have Windows XP you can not install another OS.

For your partition you can use partition magic or Acronis partition manager (I'm not sure if they available for mac or not).you will find a function resize (resize) you have just said the new size of your partition.
    No partition magic is not available on mac, there is no way to move partition sizes around on one volume once it is set. Much better to avoid partitions altogether. However you can try out VolumeWorks, it is an extremely powerful OS X software application for managing the partitions on your hard drive. VolumeWorks is designed to allow the end user the ability to:

• Rebuild a partition table,
    • Add partitions to a device,
    • Hide partitions,
    • Shift partitions, and
    • Resize partitions

Quote Originally Posted by gazwsx View Post
    Hello

With disk utility can I change the partition sizes (the collapse) to reclaim the space for another partition?

Second question: for bootcamp, if I delete the partition, Mac OS retrieves all the space In this case: increased size possible?
    Yes with disk utility you can change the partition sizes but from a different volume (and of updating its backup before).

Second yes with the wizard bootcamp in 2 or 3 clicks and less than 10 seconds .

What is free is to reformat, just. If you have a good backup (like clone that works well), nothing more simple and just be patient.

To do this you need to have the partitioning tools , which required to have safeguards to avoid losing everything, it's probably the best method.

Start disk utility and select primary hard disk,then add a partition as the default HFS + Journaled and give it a label 'Snow Leopard' or something you like. Now insert Snow Leopard DVD and restart. During the installation process, make sure you select volume "Snow Leopard" as your destination and your good to go. When you restart your Mac, hold down the Option / Alt key to bong Start and hold until the selector disk mode, so you can choose to boot from Snow Leopard.