Thread: error on trying to download sp3

error on trying to download sp3

Not sure where to post this sorry, not very computer techy, i have a windows xp profeesional on sp2 that i use for sage, the new updates for sage do not work on sp2 and i need sp3 i am having so much trouble trying to get it? please please anyone help me? i have tried all the fix me on microsoft and have done all it says to do re auto updates lan settings etc etc etc, spent hours on it and all i get is error code 0x8024402C . am running roudn in circles and really need to upgrade or i have got to buy a new pc?! thanks

Re: error on trying to download sp3

You have to first of all read all the tips about steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 from the below link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

Next, download the standalone Version of SP3 and install it from below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Hi already done all that thanks, the link you gave is where i went in the end even though it says not if for one pc and it did finally download from that one without the error code , which i get when i do an express check on the updates, it downloaded, started to unpack etc then said that something couldnt run as something else was open and using it, but nothing else was open so the only option was to cancel ;-(

Morning, ok still get the error if go through automatic updates on windows, have set auto updates, done loads of stuff as requested to do by fault error code suggestions, but it doesnt appear to be working, followed the link above again and tried to install sp3 from there, it downloads ok, extracts files ok, the the software wizard appears, it gets to performing inventory and then errors with,

the file c:\windows\system32\services.exe is open or in use by another application close all other applications and click retyr

but nothing else is open? so you have to cancel and then it fails? any ideas from here? thanks

Well there may be an antivirus installed on your system which is not letting the file to be installed. As said by you that the file is easily recognized and also it is extracted but you are unable to install the same so I guess here the main reason is the antivirus because these software has the tendency to block some of the updates or installation if they are not authorized. So if you really need to have an sort out the problem then you have to try and uninstall any such antivirus if present and then see how it goes. And if you still face the same issue then you can click here to get the detailed information on the same issue.

no no antivirus or firewallrunning tried again today but still getting

the file c:\windows\system32\services.exe is open or in use by another application close all other applications and click retry

But nothing to close down, been told to go to task manager and end process but cant as it wont let me cos if services.exe?

Please anyone help?

You can try to boot in Safe Mode or Clean Boot mode in your computer. I prefer the latter but either is fine. Free SP3 support is available from MS. What is your locale? Here is the link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...3&gprid=522131