Thread: Error during booting with WinXP & Ubuntu

Error during booting with WinXP & Ubuntu

Hello,
    I got an problem when I start my system at dual mode,I have installed two operating system windows 7 and windows XP but I think to install a new operating Ubuntu and I installed after removing windows 7 from the system.When I boot the system now it appears with so many option for Windows XP and only one option for Ubuntu.When I choose ubuntu it is working fine but when I go for Windows Xp it occur some error which is "Error 12: Invalid device requested".

Please tell me the solution for it.

Error during booting with WinXP & Ubuntu

Error during booting :

The main thing is that you need to install the operating system in different places and you can Install the windows 7 and Xp with the same disk but the installation of Ubuntu should be on different partition.

The ubuntu is like Linux but doesn't follow the rule of storage and partitions.It also follow the NTFS partition and doesn't occur error regarding file system and all.The matter may be regarding from boot loader of different operating system.

Grub booting wrong partition

Grub booting wrong partition :

The grub of the system is occurring this error,I think ,you have installed the windows 7 fisrt and then you installed windows XP at second time.

You formatted the installation of windows 7 and running with windows Xp.
    Now this matter is creating problem,The Grub of windows is also removed during formatting of windows 7.Now you need to rebuilt them manually.

If you have installed the Ubuntu on different disk then it is getting loaded easily with the options.

Finding the Grub location of ubuntu

Finding the Grub location in Ubuntu :

If you chooses the same disk on different partition to install the ubuntu,you can show the grub location for your hard disk with this command.

Just enter in the terminal of Ubuntu and type the command as follows:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Give me what would be the output of this command for your system partition.

Grub loader in Ubuntu

Grub loader in Ubuntu :

The GRUB is a loader which is the part of GNU project.It is also know as boot loader.The GRUB is used with different operating systems like Linux, DOS, Windows, or BSD.

The GRUB can be configured dynamically means the user of the operating system can change the functionality of GRUB during booting process for example :Alter the specified boot menus,can add another,custom entries, choosing different kernels and capable to modify the initrd.

GRUB can be executed or installed from the different storage devices like floppy disk, hard disk, CD-ROM, USB drive, network drive as you install the operating system.

Working of GRUB within OSs

Working of GRUB within OS :

When a system is being started,the BIOS signals to the first boot device which can be any devices that you had specified as a boot device.The first sector of the Hard disk is treated as Master Boot Record (MBR).This sector contains only 512 bytes of space and has a little bit code in 446 bytes space and 64 bytes is for partition tables which shows the configuration of primary and extended partitions.

MBR loads the defined boot sector within memory and diverts the control to GRUB which overwrite the default MBR using contained code.